Transformer efficiency

Group:

Can anyone give me an idea of typical transformer efficiencies.

I've got a 120V input / 240V output 1kVA transformer.

I assume that sticking a 1kW resistive load won't just draw 2kW on the input side, but 2*(1+x) kW. How big, typically, will x be?

Cheers

Den

Sticking a 1KW resitive load on the output side will result in (1+x ) KW on the input side. Even for a cheap 1KVA transformer the efficiency should be in the order of 90 % (i.e. x=0.1). If you put enough money into it (as would be the case for a 1MVA transformer) then efficiencies should peak in the Ivory soap level. (99 44/100 % pure (x

Reply to
Don Kelly

Don

Thanks for this. You've answered my question

And I have made a public fool of myself by forgetting that V(1)I(1) = V(2)I(2) - I had somehow forgotten that the power is constant! Oh well it won't be the first time I've looked dumb!

Cheers

production

Reply to
Den