Whats it like to be an apprentice electrician?

I may get called into the electrician apprentice program at local 48 in Portland, OR.

What its it like the first few years in terms of the way you are treated, hours, vacation, benefits, etc. I called 48 and the lady didn't seem to want to give me much information.

Do most electricians out there like there job after several years? I'll make $31/hr journeyman wage.

All opinions welcome. The good and the bad.

Reply to
bbnn

Like all vocations you will get out of it what you put in to it.

I have been a member of the IBEW and did not like the political in fighting that occurred. Recently I found a job and wanted to renew my ticket. The rules were such that the contractor that I found would not be able to hire me. Not much good there.

In times of good they provide a good wage and decent benefits.

I have been in the trade for 35 years. My career evolved because of my cross training and opportunities. I know some IBEW members that would not have a clue on how to run a TTR or phase angle meter.

Reply to
SQLit

I'm an engineer and work with local 48 quite often. Good technical program, they are some of the best trained electricans I have worked with. Good work ethic. The contractors and the union here are working together. Not much of an adversial relationship like I've seen in Seattle and other places. Have you seen the NECA/IBEW billboards around? No matter what the predictions for future growth have a plan for a bailout ( temporary most likely ). Sooner or later the work slows down and you may have to work as a traveler or at something else. As an apprentice when there's pipe to be laid in a muddy trench guess who's going in? Guess who's running for Pizza? The program requires two years of class room work so get ready for some homework. You'll make good money and be working with your brain as well as your hands. $ 29.50 an hour is more that most people make and the benifit program is very good.

Reply to
B J Conner

Im curious..... how old are you?

Reply to
me

here in northeast Missouri the apprentice program is 5 years long!

Why the big diff in length between areas?

Reply to
me

39
Reply to
bbnn

Reply to
Bob Peterson

| I may get called into the electrician apprentice program at local 48 in | Portland, OR. | | What its it like the first few years in terms of the way you are | treated, hours, vacation, benefits, etc. | I called 48 and the lady didn't seem to want to give me much information. | | Do most electricians out there like there job after several years? I'll | make $31/hr journeyman wage. | | All opinions welcome. The good and the bad.

Watch out for things like this happening to you:

phil-news-nospam

Don't join a union then! I left half way through my apprenticeship and to tell you the truth, I have learned far more useful information for the trade than being told to "slow down, we can get another brother off the books", or slow down we are "allowed" to only do so much a day. Is it my fault that I actually enjoy the work I do and they just want to gather around and pass gossip??? I am currently studying for my c of q and I have had excellent co-workers (yes some were union too!). But as for the pay, you start off at around 40% of what a journeyman makes for the first year, 50% for the second, etc. It all depends who you work for, and unfortunately what country your in. Here in Canada (Ka- na- dah- for Roy QT! Lol!) Your apprenticeship is 5 terms of 1800 hours, how fast you complete it depends on how much time you put into it- literally!. I have heard how the apprenticeship is down in the states from other journeyman who came up here to find work- it's very different from our system. But don't think you'l learn everything in your apprenticeship- you actually start learning far more once you get your licence is the common saying from many people I have worked with. I hope that you do join into the trade, and I look forward to hearing from you in the discussion group, tak care, Mod

Reply to
ssparling

OK... was just curious

Im 46 and have thought abt getting into the "trade"

Ive had a lot of electrical training in school.... but no real world experience.

Do you have any concerns that your age may work against you when getting into the union?

Reply to
me

thanks for the advise but they do accept people as 'old' as me. And I could physically do what many 20 yr olds can't. I'm already doing a physically demanding job. I'm glad everyone in the world doesn't make sweeping generalizations like that.

Reply to
bbnn

No offense but there are a lot of programs that just don't take older workers into an apprenticeship like this.

A big problem is that apprentices get all the rotten tasks, and it can be very physical. After you have run up and down a set of stairs a hundred times carrying parts up to the guy actually doing the work you may understand. You may be the one in a hundred fellow of your age that can handle the physical demands of the job, but keep in mind that very few tradesmen of your age work construction. it gets too physically demanding and they find something else to do.

Reply to
Bob Peterson

teeheehee I think I'm the oldest one here now, except for the " free energy off powerlines " poster:-) 48 and feeling it.

well I think that comment about learning more after you get licensed is not all that healthy.I guess in Canada things are a little different, if you can through a Dynamo onto the Falls and get free energy while picnicking there.

the licensing agency here in nyc (neuyauksittee~ssparkling:) isn't really keen on the subject either, it's a requisite and i don't know if we (I) can get a waiver based on experience as i thought, they stress "supervised work" for several years to qualify you for the License Exam., it was 200$, probably up to 400$ since bluemberg's in office.

i hope that signed affidavits from current and past cleintele will make a break somehow, but stick to the term if you are already in an appreticeship, it will ease becoming independent in a shorter time.

Experience comes with time, care and gettoitiveness.

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

No offense in deed, when a jobs demands for braun it's most likely the younger or stronger guys are going to get the run of the mill with materials and parts, (though I am very flexible and have moves no younger guy can match) but when brains are needed and by that I mean experience & knowledge around circuits & electrical systems any wise foreman would trade off and put you at the frontline making connections rather than make you haul materials.... I guess an older person would probably be a better apprentice as a tooley instead.

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Where do you live?

Reply to
Paul S.

here in toronto they employ electricians til 68 or more if they want. at 39 you got a long time left, out of your time before 45, not to old

Reply to
PCK

Im 47...... too late to become an apprentice you think?

Reply to
me

I live in northeast Missouri.... near Hannibal

Reply to
me

Nope...we've taken in guys older than that....they're doing just fine...some have problems taking orders from younger journeymen, or can't handle the "ribbing" that apprentices usually get, but those guys don't last too long.

Reply to
Zip