Who makes ViewSonic's plasma TVs?

The ViewSonic VPW-505 and VPW-425 plasmas are said to be re-branded Pioneer models. Can anyone confirm this? Which models, exactly?

I've looked at the Pioneer support site and perused a few user guides, but I can find no Pioneer TV that has the same connector arrangement (an indication of a rebranded model -- while bezel and front switches are frequently redesigned by the marketing company (ie, ViewSonic), the connector panel is usually not).

Anyone know the OEM models?

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

Do they have FCC ID numbers? If they do, the FCC ID database can tell you who made them.

Michael A. Terrell

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 08:34:14 -0700, DaveC Gave us:

There are only a few LCD panel and Plasma panel makers out there, so nearly ALL FPDs have OEM panels in them.

My first ViewSonic CRT was a vertically flat Sony tube 14" with ACER electronics that cost me over $500 back in the early 90's! Damned thing flopped inside of a year and they wouldn't fix it, the bastards.

It's like when VHS was in. ALL VHS transport mechanisms were made by JVC, with VERY FEW exceptions.

But no, I do not know the makers.

You could google up some info on raw FPD panels and likely end up with a list of all the makers.

My ViewSonic LCD FPD at 32" is awesome, but I am sure the panel is an OEM device in a ViewSonic plastics housing

Reply to
SuperM

"SuperM" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Simply untrue. There were lots of vendors making all sorts of parts including the transports for VHS. JVC was mostly making their own transports and had relatively little OEM business.

There are about a half dozen plants making PDPs, many more making LCD panels. Viewsonic is very unlikely to be sourcing its panels from Pioneer, unless they have kept some of their obsolete lines open to produce ED panels. It is much more likely that one of the chinese vendors is supplying them.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 17:27:32 -0400, "Leonard Caillouet" Gave us:

You're full of shit! JVC made transport mechs for almost every VHS VCR maker there was, with few exceptions. They were an OEM maker of them! They even had other makers making THEIR designs!

Sony made their own,because they were so mift at JVC for winning the format war, and there were a few others, but not many.

I find it hard to even believe that Pioneer would sell their high end panels to anyone. Maybe they have a line dedicated to OEM markets to bolster their costs on their own high end gear.

Reply to
SuperM

What about Panasonic, NEC, Mitsubishi, Sanyo, Hitachi, Sharp, Funai, Goldstar, Samsung, Fisher, Toshiba, Orion, and Daewoo? All of those companies made unique transport designs throughout the 80's. Even Sony used their own design when they started making VHS. JVC made Zenith's VCRs, but I've never seen a JVC transport in another brand. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 00:14:59 -0700, Andy Cuffe Gave us:

Funai? (don't make me laugh), GoldStar (started with PC monitors) wasn't even around back then. Fischer made their own, and I ALREADY said that Sony did.

Panasonic started out as a cheap home stereo knock off shop, Daewoo made fishing reels... all long before they got deep enough into consumer electronics to delve into the VHS VCR market.

There were only about 6 major players in the early years, and at least four of those used the OEM transport mechs JVC made. Sony didn't, and Fischer didn't.

Reply to
SuperM

I think there's a slight misunderstanding here. I think Super M refers to the very early VHS decks. Example: The first, the Jvc hr3300 :

...this was rebadged by dozens of manufacturers. Their early front load models I have seen under Thomson, ferguson, philco, akai, saba, etc. of course later, by the mid to late 80s, everyone else made their own.

-B.

I had a SABA, now Thomson, VHS and it was an OEM JVC.

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom

I'll buy that. If he was talking about the first couyple of years of VHS, yes JVC did supply machines to others. Beyond the 3300, you would not find that you could say the same of even the next group of machines, the HR3600U and HR7600U. JVC was the developer of the VHS system, so of course, they were able to supply others the units before the licensing and production came up to speed. This was such a small part of the overal picture in the life of VHS, however, that it hardly justifies the sweeping statements that were made. Within a couple of years several manufacturers were producing many times the number of units that JVC was producing.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Funai made millions of VCRs in the 80's and 90's. For a brief time in the 90's they were even supplying transports to Sony.

Goldstar didn't get into VCRs until about 1983/4, but they became one of the biggest VCR manufacturers in the 80's and 90's. They weren't great quality, but they were very common.

Panasonic was one of the original VHS manufacturers in the late 70's along with JVC. Panasonic made VCRs for lots of companies including RCA, GE, Canon, and Philips (Magnavox, Philco, Sylvania). If you bought a VCR before about 1981 it was probably made by Panasonic.

Daewoo didn't come along until the 90's, but they had their own transport design (admittedly a very poor one).

I'll give you that there were only a few companies in the late 70's and very early 80's, but throughout most of the 80's and 90's there were lots of companies making their own VHS transports.

Where are you located? It's possible that some parts of the world saw mostly JVC OEM decks. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Strangely, they don't have FCCID's. I thought all consumer products had to. Or does this exclude re-branded products?

Reply to
DaveC

Some 3-pin devices are labeled Toshiba, others IR. SOIC packages have "GL", "ST", and "EntronTech" labels.

Reply to
DaveC

IIRC they are called LG now.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Have been for many years now...

Reply to
ManhattanMan

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:00:29 -0700, DaveC Gave us:

They are there somewhere. They likely have CSA and UL cert numbers too...

Reply to
SuperM

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:27:17 GMT, "Homer J Simpson" Gave us:

GoldStar and LG the same company? I don't think so. If anything LG bought GoldStar.

Reply to
SuperM

ROFL

Where do they hide them these days? I went looking for one on a friend's Toshiba 32" TV and scoured the exterior without success.

Reply to
clifto

On Tue, 01 May 2007 13:21:08 -0500, clifto Gave us:

I was talking about on any OEM components that the "maker" of the monitor might have used.

A lot of devices these days have it as part of the plastic molding somewhere (ala dongle) as opposed to a label. You may have looked right past it.

Sony is real good at making it in such a small font as to be barely visible.

My ViewSonic FPD has a big label right smack in the middle of the back of the display panel case. With UL, FCC, NOM and nyce? logos emblazoned on it.

Reply to
SuperM