Why do LEDs dim so poorly?

You can buy LED lamps that will change color to anything you can imagine. Why don't they make a dimmable LED that tracks the color of a dimming incandescent? I could see them starting by taking down the blue and then the green so it would go through yellow to orange and then dim from there to off.

Reply to
gfretwell

Someone does make LEDs that dim like incandescents. Sorry, I can't recall the name, but they appear at lighting shows. They are not retrofit lamps, but whole fittings. I would guess they're patented and expensive, but I haven't seen the pricing.

Cross-posted sci.engr.lighting - someone there might recall the manufacturer.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Dimming isn't the issue. That's been available for some time (and more/better ones are in the pipe).

The issue was color while dimming.

Reply to
krw

That's what I was referring to - you can buy LED fittings which dim with the colour temperature shift of indandescents.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Philips has a patent on the color change with dimming. I'll look it up and post the number.

Reply to
Victor Roberts