Why do LEDs dim so poorly?

You can buy LED lamps that will change color to anything you can imagine. Why don't they make a dimmable LED that tracks the color of a
dimming incandescent? I could see them starting by taking down the blue and then the green so it would go through yellow to orange and then dim from there to off.
     snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

Someone does make LEDs that dim like incandescents. Sorry, I can't recall the name, but they appear at lighting shows. They are not retrofit lamps, but whole fittings. I would guess they're patented and expensive, but I haven't seen the pricing.
Cross-posted sci.engr.lighting - someone there might recall the manufacturer.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Thu, 8 May 2014 10:34:16 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Dimming isn't the issue. That's been available for some time (and more/better ones are in the pipe). http://gizmodo.com/philips-dimmable-led-lightning-review-so-much-light-s-498849873
The issue was color while dimming.

     snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz writes:

That's what I was referring to - you can buy LED fittings which dim with the colour temperature shift of indandescents.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Fri, 9 May 2014 07:19:44 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Philips has a patent on the color change with dimming. I'll look it up and post the number.
--
Vic Roberts
http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com