Wire Size Question

I need to know the proper aluminum wire size to hook up a 27.5 KW generator. The run of the wire will be approximately 115 feet.

Thank you

Reply to
Office

try this site,

SQLit

You didn't say the voltage and phase but if this is 240 single phase that is about 115a. Minimum in the 75 column would be 1/0al but you will probably want 2/0 or 3/0 for voltage drop reasons.

Reply to
Greg

I appreciate the link, but.... Determining wire size generally requires the solution to TWO equations. The Voltage Drop equation is one which limits the losses in the wire. The other solution iso the heat transfer equation which limits the temperature of the wire. This second equation is generally solved by using Tables, Table 310.16 of the NEC being the one most widely used. Therefore, voltage drop alone is not sufficient for determining the correct wire size.

Reply to
Gerald Newton

The generator is a three wire single phase 120/240. Two hots and a 'return'

thanking everyone for their help

Reply to
Office

120v per hot
Reply to
Office

There was not enough information to do the calculations correctly so I thought I would put the guy on to a path that would be self enlighting.

Reply to
SQLit