Re: Should LEGO produce more Castle, Pirate, Town and Space sets?

The interesting thing about the Black Seas Barracuda is, a couple of years ago Lego got people to vote which set they'd like most to return. And it just so happened that Black Seas Barracuda got the number one position.

I understand that for many adults it would only be a display piece. But building the sets and arranging dioramas can be an interesting hobby. I don't play with my Lego as such. I build the sets then my nephew comes alongs and does the playing.

Lego could be another medium of model building. But unlike its glue held together counter parts, if you wanted to design something different or change the exist model, its a lot easier to do with Lego.

Basically my arguement is "Why should Lego only be concerned to what appeals to the new generation?" Its the older people who have more money, so if I was Lego I'd be trying to cater for both.

Some of the Pirate sets were somewhat basic, however if you were trying to appeal to an older market then perhaps it would be wise to design the new sets accordingly. Like they do with Star Wars. They have sets for both children and adults (aimed towards 16+).

When I asked Lego if there was going to be any more Pirate Lego, they responded: "We don't know yet"

So there's a glimmer of hope. A faint one...

> I was aiming this topic more towards people 18+ rather than the kids. > > Specifically the people who grew up with Lego in the 80's and 90's when > > Castle, Pirate, Space and Town were at their peak. > > I'm more interested in Technic sets now. > > I know there are a lot of adults who have fond memories of "Lego in it's > prime", but a new generation shares a different view of things - and I can > live with that. > > To the generation before mine, minifigs with movable limbs were "crappy new > specialized pieces". > > I think it would be a disservice for me to impose my own fond memories on > todays kids - and I think Star Wars themed Lego sets do that enough. > > > > I guess the question is: Are there enough Pirate enthusiasts to warrant > > the release of new or re-release of Pirate themed Lego. > > One would think that Black Seas Barracuda is a good litmus test then. > > If a lot of people buy it, then Lego might introduce some new pirate sets. > > I remember wanting Black Seas Barracuda more than anything when it was new - > and I loved the European name "Dark Shark". Today I could easily buy it, > but It's just not practical for me beyond a display piece. > >
Reply to
Mr Phes

I might have voted highly for it too - but I don't think it really is the best all-around set. That might go to the Galaxy Explorer of the early 80's or something.

So how does he get the thrill of opening a new set? When my little brother got new Lego sets, I had to refrain from building them for him as not to spoil his fun. It was hard, but watching a younger person build (and teaching them tricks) can be fun too, as I'm sure you're aware.

It's good to see that you don't seem to be worried about your nephew "ruining" your models by playing with them.

I'd stick with kids. They are impressionable, and Lego can build a loyal following that will last a lifetime (I know I will buy my children Lego one day). Also, there are more kids in the world than adults - and while they don't have money on their own, a kid begging for a set for his birthday is a more convincing marketing ploy than rationalizing a toy expense to a non-collecting adult.

I like the age range on the Lego Designer sets... 6-99. Strom Thurmond wouldn't have enjoyed it. ;)

Reply to
Neb Okla

Profitable or not, the Star Wars sets only remotely serve the interests of today's youth.

Harry Potter is another story.

Though Technic is good for everyone - and aside from Star Wars figures and Bionicle, it is in short supply.

Reply to
Neb Okla