Legos in this day and age

So I was wondering...is there anyone else out there who has noticed a growing lack of interest in legos lately? Do you think it's in part due to the poor, cross-advertizing sets they are coming out with these day - nothing really original or in line with their old collections - general space, castle, town, etc - or just lack of interest of the younger generations?

I have piles of legos I was thinking about selling, and I know a few years ago I could get top dollar for some of these sets - complete, excellent condition, instruction manuals, and many still with original packaging. I have some older Town system sets (motorcycle shop era), Space (various large sets spanning from the little blue, red and yellow guys, to blacktron II, to even some star wars), Paradisia, the second space monorail with extra track, Castle and the forest men sets.

I'm not sure if I should start selling them off, or wait a few years? Anyone have an opinion on the future of the Lego Market ;) ?

Thanks SarahD

Reply to
SjD

Are you talking about the lack of activity in ATL/RTL? Or someplace else?

Some individual Star Wars mini-figs sell for up to $50 each.

The monorail sets and rails sell for pretty good prices. Look at Bricklink (search the Catalog) and closed items on Ebay (you will need an account for this) and see what current prices are.

Reply to
Kay Archer

Yes, I've always had much more interest in Lego.

Not sure what you mean. I think the cross-advertising is going strong. I'm sick of Harry Potter and Star Wars in general at this point. My main focus is on Technic and they've had some successes there. The Williams Racer seemed to sell out really quick - and the Ferrari stuff seems to be popular as well.

It'd be nice to see what happens to the Space theme once the Star Wars stuff is over. If I were Lego I'd be saving the coolest designs they come up with these days and preparing to launch a "Return of Futron" kind of theme with all of their best designs from this rest imposed by the Star Wars licensing.

I was just flipping through the new Castle (Knights Kingdom) section of the catalog and was fairly impressed. The castle has some unique and fairly modern styling to it and the ability to transform the castle to red and blue schemes depending on the king in power is definately a cool idea - and may even get some people to buy two copies of the set.

When it first came out, my brother and I both bought Black Falcon's Fortress

and I changed all of the flags on mine so that it would fit in as part of the King's Castle of the day.

I even replaced the "Black Falcon" flag with the one from the knight in the "Armor Shop"

so while I probably won't be buying any of the new castle stuff I think it has a good solid design and may redefine Lego for a new generation of builders. I know it's in line with what I would have thought was cool at that age.

As for Town, they have a number of Town related sets - and World City items that are available. I'd like to see a fire station and hospital, as well as the addition of other businesses here and there. A Lego "Big Box Retailer" like Wal-Mart, Meijer, or Costco might make a cool set - especially if it had a loading dock in the back and came with a truck.

Well, I actually don't know a lot of kids in "the younger generations". I know my youngest brother is about to get his drivers license and Lego is just about the last priority for him at the moment.

A lot of friends are having kids now though, so I use the "Free Lego Catalog" cards that come in some sets to fire one off their way. Suprisingly not all parents know about Lego, and while there are some expensive sets (like the new Millenium Falcon

I think the sets are reasonably priced and have something to offer for customers in every price range and area of interest.

Sounds like a collection that would be difficult to replace.

I suppose it depends on your motives. I can't say when the best time to sell your investment would be, but I don't think I'll ever sell mine.

Reply to
Neb Okla

The online LEGO community is huge. atl and rtl are two, extremely small, pieces of this. Bigger pieces can be found by starting at

the like.

The larger online LEGO community means that much of the trading has moved to places like Bricklink.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Findley

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:04:49 GMT, Neb Okla wrote, in part:

Lego Technic does seem to be the last remaining bastion of the original concept of Lego, as a building toy.

Most of the Lego sets one sees in the store these days are various types of small themed sets, aimed at younger children, and reminiscent of Playmobil or BRIO. Sets aimed at more general construction, perhaps of the commercial section of a small village, like the Lego sets of the early 1960s, are no longer seen.

So the kinds of bricks one sees are different.

And it certainly is true that, compared to 1962, there is more to watch on TV, we have video games, and so the competition that 'ordinary' toys, however beloved they might be by educators and the like, such as Lego, Meccano, or Zome, face is a lot more intense.

So I don't think it is invalid for someone to say that interest in Lego has declined, if one compares the last decade or two to thirty or forty years ago.

John Savard

John Savard