Re: Should LEGO produce NEW Pirate sets? [plain text version]

*Sigh*, remember when Lego sets were popular without related movies?

> Here's what may increase Pirates popularity: > > In the upcoming months some new Pirate related movies are to be released, > this include: > Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl > Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World > Peter Pan (live action version)
Reply to
Neb Okla

What I was implying is the movies and computer games I mentioned may stimulate interest in Pirates. Once that happens the kiddies are going to want to get their hands on whatever Pirate mechandise they can. That's if these movies are marketed well.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl is supposedly going to be a major cinematic release for this year. If the movie is successful in box office sales then it has potential to do well with merchandising as well. Pirate Lego wouldn't be official merchandising for the film, but it could ride the wave of success the movie generates.

I guess in a couple of months we'll see what happens.

Reply to
Mr Phes

I think you've been drinking too much marketing Kool-aid. Maybe it will have an impact on sales, but you don't have to have a movie to sell a quality product. Maybe times have changed, but none of the Lego sets I own were purchased as a result of a movie tie-in (well, except the Star Wars sets).

Reply to
Neb Okla

unless they were on the ball a couple of years ago, I doubt they would be able to get product out to coincide with any increased interest generated by PotC etc. A product design cycle takes about 18mths - 2 years, sometimes longer

would be nice tho

James www.m> What I was implying is the movies and computer games I mentioned

Reply to
James Stacey

Actually I don't think I'm drinking enough marketying Kool Aid! I understand that a movie is not required to sell a quality product. And I'm not saying have movie tie-ins to sell Pirate Lego. I was saying the constant bombardment of oirate related movies might make pirates a hot item, so kiddies will want whatever pirate toys they can get, including Pirate Lego.

But if Pirates of the Caribbean is successful, there will no doubt be a sequel, maybe a spin off, a cartoon (since Beuna Vista is involved). Of course if this happens, then other production companies are going to want to get in on the act and produce their own Pirate movies.

Of course I'm being very hopeful here. I think I might go rattle Lego's bucket about it. See what they say, if anything...

would be nice tho

James

Mr Phes