Star Wars LEGO

Will star wars Lego sets one day be valuable items?

Reply to
James

$55 for one mini-fig:

Some people consider them valuable now.

Reply to
Kay Archer

Only if you don't open the box!

Seriously, though, that Yoda set has a LOT of tan pieces, and quite a few maroon and dark brown too. I got me one for 30% off at Kay-Bee's closeout, just because of the uncommon colors. Also because it was a sculputure set, and I wanted to see what it was like to put it together.

Reply to
Bruce Tomlin

He, he, mine was 50% off at Wally World...(but, I didn't go back in time to get the other one, 8(

Reply to
Kay Archer

Millenium Falcon currently sells at bricklink for between 200 and 450 USD!

- Thomas Hoeg-Jensen

Reply to
Thomas Hoeg-Jensen

"Thomas Hoeg-Jensen" wrote:

IMO this set will remain a key item in the series, possibly forever.

Lego's SW license expires around 2007, and my opinion is that they will not renew, based on their "back to basics" movement internally, and the lack of new media events (movies) to support sales. That means that any re-release of the original Falcon, to drive the market price down, will have to happen before then.

There are several things that make that unlikely though. There is a new Falcon this year; if Lego maintains any stock of a MF model for the next couple of years, it will be the new one. Aside from it being a nicer model (in my opinion -- and regardless of that, it's certainly of more-current styling and construction), it utilizes both the new gray colors, and the new mini-figure colors (flesh tones).

Under these circumstances, I cannot concieve of a good reason for Lego to go back to the old model Falcon as is, nor to revive it with modified colors. Even if they experience strong demand for the Falcon well beyond 2005, far and away the easiest thing for them to do will be to continue to make the new one (or revive it one last time in 2007).

And if they DO revive the old one with modified colors (Lego reps have already indicated that future "Legends" releases will use new color bricks, not old), that will leave the original Leia figure, with yellow skin, far and away the most desirable figure in the series (as it already is).

On top of that, it's "the Falcon," and comes with many main characters from the original film. It will remain a cornerstone piece in any Star Wars Lego collection indefinitely, even if the new one is popular.

On the flip side, many many Ep 1 and 2 sets will remain at retail price or lower for quite a while, especially after the Ep 3 hype fades away. Only key sets from the original trilogy will really retain value for the forseeable future.

The same thing happens with action figures; a few key desirable or scarce pieces maintain high value, but then there is a steep drop-off to the ordinary middleground, and then the downright common ones.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Johnston

What do you mean? I haven't heard of any new falcon. where would I find info on it? Thanks, Yo

Reply to
Jo

Info on many new sets, including the Falcon, can be found here.

kristine

Reply to
Kristine Birnbaum

Back to basics? What's this all about?! It's about time!

James

Release date is some time in summer. Someone else posted a great link for seeing lots of cool pics - check 'em out!

(BTW, despite the Toy Fair pics, the human figures are planned to have flesh tones, not yellow heads/hands. Unless they change their minds really soon....)

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Johnston

Last year Lego had its worst financial loss ever (and only the third yearly loss they've ever had, I think). There was miscellaneous press coverage about it last month, and among the statements from the company was that they would build more core, internal properties and rely less on licenses and electronic gimmicks. They will also revive the Duplo brand name; the re-branding to "Lego Explore" last year reportedly cost them almost 50% of their previous year's pre-school sales.

A senior executive also left the company in the wake of the losses and re-focussing efforts. Almost a third of the exec staff was let go.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Johnston

"Kristine Birnbaum" banged on the keyboard long enough to hammer out news:%DvZb.38039$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

WOW! So THOSE are what the X-Pods are. . . Interesting. Interesting because I hate blister packs.

Reply to
M3wThr33

They're absolutely right too. It was ok when they first released star wars LEGO, because that's got quite a history behind it. But then it started happening far too much. Harry Potter, Spiderman, and a bunch of other non-lego names started taking over the shelves.

I don't know about the rest of you, but i much prefered the good ole' days when lego put all their energy into making town, pirates, castle and space sets. And I'm glad to hear that lego may be returning back to making what we all know as real lego... and i think it would do the company a lot of good (financially) to go back to what really pleases kids and lets them be creative. I understand that they have to keep changing their products to keep sales going, but I think that some of the great stuff that's around today like town/city should be more focused on, to bring lego back to what it was.

Reply to
James