electronic rim type cylinder

In the UK all the stand alone digital locks are based around either the mortice latch or the American deadbolt. I've been to the USA a few times and being a locksmith I naturally look out for 'new' locks. On American TV programmes we get in the UK I often see 'Yale' type locks such as the 116 or 197 series yet I've never seen them on doors when in America. I was wondering if Yale type rim locks are actually quite rare and what we see on TV is a bit of 'product placement' The reason for asking is that very soon I will be launching a digital replacement rim cylinder that is self contained. You simply replace the cylinder, connect the battery pack and re-fit the existing lock casing. The product is Anglo-American and the 'clever' bit is a very special solenoid designed and developed in the USA for this project. I know the potential in the UK for the product but havent a clue if it will run in the USA. As far as I am aware the product is unique and will be less expensive that products such as Cobra etc. Could any USA based locksmiths please advise if Yale type rim locks are still used in America or if they are a dead or dying breed.

Many thanks.

Reply to
lockman49