"Excelent" Construction Key

We have a ~$40mil library that is being constructed on campus that is nearly finished (most of the doors and door hardware have been installed), I had to go in to the building to make sure that work that my department had requested on some change orders had actually been done, and now virtually every door inside and out the building is locked... So I went to one of the construction trailers to sign out a key.

I was given a ring with two keys on it: One uncut 7-pin Yale blank and one 7-pin Yale blank that had cuts resembling those of a standard key on the university's keying system.

"Use that one" he said, pointing to the uncut blank. I asked what the other one was for, his response: "The restrooms".

I could barely hold back my laughter (...I mean, heres a $40,000,000 building that could be opened with just about anything [no pins in the cores], but the bathrooms that the crew is using seems to be fairly dificult to open without the proper key...)

Reply to
Interested

If there are no pins in the cores then the cut key would work both locks, assuming of course it's the same keyway.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

They're most likely keyed to the shallowest cut. That way when the locksmith keys them up, all that has to be done (most of the time) is replace the bottom pins and install master pins when required instead of fooling around with the upper pins and springs. That would also explain the restroom key not working the other locks. Most likely they're the same keyway for master keying reasons.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

I thought perhaps that was the case but when he said no pins I also thought he might have eyeballed the keyway.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Sorry for not providing all of the info...

The "bathroom key" is on the standard University blank; every other lock on the building is some other Yale keyway (A co-worker tried his GM and it couldn't be inserted into the lock).

No pins in any of the cores, a small schrwdriver will rotate the lock (Now why would they want to make things easy for the university's locksmith? ;-) )

Reply to
Interested

he just yanks the cylinder out, and replaces with the Universities, already keyed up to whatever... but is SURE NOT secure as is...

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Well obviously they're going to pin them up at a later date. I take it there is nothing ocupying the unpinned locks rooms as yet? As far as the bathrooms they probably want to restrict access to them so they don't have to deal with anyone going in there and trashing them.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Did he say "No pins" or might he have said "Zero pins"?

There's a difference.

Reply to
Jay Hennigan

He said no pins, and confirmed it in his last post.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere