Help using key duplicator machine to notch small rods

Hi, all:

I am building a stained glass window using slotted zinc rods ("Colonial-style" came) to hold the pieces of glass in place. This came has a cross section like a double-headed arrow as illustrated here:

Where one came joins another at an angle, it must be "notched" in order to accomodate the shape of the joint more closely. In the early 20th century when these kinds of windows were more popular, people used a specialized cutting wheel machine to notch the ends of their came as shown here:

This second image is copied from an excellent book on Prairie art glass designs by Dennis Casey. A closer detail of the cutting wheels and the intersection of two cames is shown here:

Since the device photographed in the image is no longer available, some stained glass makers have turned to manual key duplication machines that they've modified to accept the ends of came against the cutting wheel at tangential angles between 15 and 90 degrees. Can anyone suggest a model of manual key duplicator that can be modified in such a way? I'm not interested in actually making keys with it, so any parts not strictly required to notch came can be removed.

Thanks!

-Boyd

Reply to
Boyd

hmm.. so you need capability of 2 different cuts..? cut IN and cut OFF?

a SHARP pointed V to notch INTO the came? and another that will just cut it off at an angle?

if thats so, then the CHEAPEST way out IMO would be a Fowley Belsaw duplicator.. with all of the key holder parts removed and a 'small table saw' type table constructed instead..

they come with the V duplicator wheen, ANd a safe deposit slotter wheel as well .045 thick..

the V wheel is about a quarter inch wide.. make an adjustable double fence that would 'fit in a groove' of the table, which slides a bit.. and you would be ok, maybe??

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Foley-Belsaw duplicator, model 200 is the perfect machine for your needs. Additionally, they are probably the least expensive because so many are out there.

Reply to
Radrunner

Thanks very much! I'll start looking for a Foley-Belsaw 200 right away. There are none on EBay, it seems - are there rules against selling key duplicators?

Reply to
Boyd

can be...

suggestion..

the PUBLIC sector.. post there.. I am in X city and am interested in a Fowley Belsaw duplicator.. any close by?

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

OK, btw, its a 'pretty cheap' priced machine..dollar wise, I would not want to pay a LOT for it at all.. $50 maybe would be my limit if pretty good shape and complete..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Thanks, Shiva. I'll post there and see if there are any nearby. I can imagine that they're fairly heavy if they had to be shipped any distance.

Reply to
Boyd

actually not.. under 15#? with motor? and am GUESSING.. the big thing is what people think they are worth..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

I think that using a key machine to do this might be annoying to say the least. The diameter of the blade is going to give you a hollow cut which will probably cause for some mischief when soldering, also indexing will be a pain as the vise assembly is not suited for the came.

What might work real slick is a small table saw like the one Dremmel makes. Practicly useless for wood working, but I suspect it might be ideal for cutting miters on the came.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Yes, there are rules against the duplicators. Don't know why. It's not like you can't take a key to the hardware store and have them copy a key anyway.

You might want to ask this guy if he'll sell the duplicators to you:

His post ends soon (a few hours at most) because the craigslist posts on the DC site last 7 days. It was submitted 7 days ago.

Sunsh> Thanks very much! I'll start looking for a Foley-Belsaw 200 right

Reply to
SunshineTeam.net

Check out Harbor Freight. They have a small metal cutting saw that might be just what you are looking for. Wayne

Reply to
wayne c

Harbor Freight ? that should be good for about 3 jobs :-)

Reply to
Key

Zinc isn't a very hard material. My dad made stained glass lamps and such years ago, but he used lead channel in his, this would cut very easily. Either should cut fine on the harbor freight tool, just don't jam the stuff through, the blade can and will break, very thin. Wayne

Reply to
wayne c

On that note, I do agree with "Key about the majority of Harbor Freight tools, but you can find some gems, even in a pile of crap....lol. Wayne

Reply to
wayne c

I do wood lathe stuff, and there is in the lathe tools there (or used to be) a VERY nicely rated set of wood turning tools available.. and the price, compared to some others is a nice bargain.. --Shiva--

Reply to
me

More accurately, you don't get what you aren't willing to pay for, and when you want something in the worst way that's the way you generally get it.

I've had simpler HF stuff hold up reasonably well; one of my dial calipers came from them and while it isn't the most accurate I've seen it's Good Enough for occasional use.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman