High Security Strikes

yes --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Yes. A dovetail saw and a sharp chisel will probably serve you as well as the router however.

You might also want to pull the trim and section in a solid piece between the stud and the jam. A little Gorilla glue would be nice also. If you do this on the hinge side you can also use longer screws to hit the stud. Remember the chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Ah Gorilla Glue and dovetail saws. Now you're speaking my language. :) With four doors to do, I'll probably make a couple router templates to do the job.

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

You only have 4 doors to do so why muck with the router?

Don't get me wrong I think every guy should own about 3 of them, more if he makes a lot of chips, but for the little bit of wood you need to remove it hardly seems to be worth the hassle. The problem as I see it is clamping the template to the jam. In a production environment this would be cake, but with the jam installed your jig would need to wrap around the wall to be clamped. While definitely doable, by the time you had the jig made I would have all 4 strikes installed and be on my second cup of coffee.

Think about this, the mortise you need to cut into the jam is about 3 x 1

1/2 x 3/16. Whack, whack, chip, chip. and you are done. The casement trim is a little deeper but still no big deal. With the router you run a big risk of hitting a nail and splitting or having something slip and then having to fix it.

If you do decide to go with the router jig, I really would like to see your solution. If you have a digital camera snap a couple of pic's and let us know where we can see them.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I have a feeling I will be "helping" (i.e. doing it for) some neighbors, so would like to have an automated process. There is no need to clamp the router template. Double stick tape is your friend. I did the same for routing out mortises for larger strike plates. I just used a 1/2" shim under the template to keep it level on the door jam and kept it in place with double stick tape. The template took about 45 minutes to make including glue drying time. And then each door took about 5 minutes each to mortise and install the plates. I like to do the bulk of the work with a router when it comes to mortises, and only use chisels to square up corners. I'd be glad to take some pics when I install the vertical locks.

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

Another deterent is using a Scanner set to the Local Police Dept or State Patrol Dispatch.

Key Access Lock & Safe USA

Reply to
CWLA

Greets.

Yeah, that way the perp has a better idea of whether or not they can spend the extra minute or so searching for the jewelry box. Plus, they may want to add that scanner to their booty, so they can use it to monitor response times and such in their next exploit(s).

N'ah, i like mean dogs, good neighbors, central monitoring or two, independent video surveillance, a very very loud siren, reinforced entry ways (including windows), a couple smith & wesson doormats, a pistol shaped door knocker, some warning signs on the various gates, a target or two in the back for practicing with the bow (w/a lot of center shots i hope), and perhaps a spare 3x6x6 hole somewhere under the fruit trees in the back.

Oh yeah, it's nice when several homes in the neighborhood belong to LEOs too. Especially when they bring their cars home with them.

I might have left some things out ... i am thinking too much about breakfast.

.te

CWLA wrote:

Reply to
times enemy