how to jimmy proof double doors?

hello, Is there a way to jimmy proof double doors that open inward? Can you suggest any particular products, and links with picture of the product?

Thanks a lot, Rogue Petunia

Reply to
rogue_petunia

That depends on what you mean by "jimmy proofing" the doors... You can install a jimmy proof lock on inswinging double doors...

You should explain your security concerns to a professional locksmith and allow them to look at the door in question... Depending on its construction it may not be worth installing a "jimmy proof" lockset on it...

Evan, ~~ formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

Multiple ways.

Vertical bolts would do the job, either mortised or surface mount.

Good magnetic locks are pretty darned resistant to force; one design actually engages a purely mechanical clamp if you try to force it, to get additional strength.

Another solution I've seen is to make them two single doors with an astragal that can be removed on those occasions when you really need the full double-width opening.

There are other solutions depending on your needs. A good locksmith ought to be able to look at your situation, discuss your issues and preferences, and make a specific recommendation.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Install a dropbolt or sliding door lock (perhaps at top, middle and bottom). Fasten a metal strip to the side that does not normally open to cover the gap.

Reply to
Peter

Hello,

Don-Jo makes several latch guards for specific applications. A locksmith should be able to install them for you quickly...

Application Description Part Number ============================================================================ Out swinging single doors: LP-211-SL (3 x 11) Out swinging single doors with pin latch protector: PLP-211-SL (3 x 11) Out swinging single doors with concealed studs: CLP-110-630 (2-1/8 x 10) Out swinging single doors for narrow escutcheons: NLP-210-SL (1-1/2 x 10) Double out swinging doors: ALP-210-SL (1 x 10) Double out swinging doors with slim-line trim: LP-2878-SL (1-1/2 x 8-1/8 x 5/16) Single aluminum entrance doors with pull handles: LP-307-SL (2-5/8 x 7 x 1/8) Center hung aluminum entrance doors with pull handles: OLP-2651-SL (2-5/8 x 6-1/2 x 1-3/8) Adams-Rite latch lock out swinging doors: LP-312-SL (2-5/8 x 12 x 1/8) Adams-Rite latch lock out swinging doors with center hole: LP-312P-SL (2-5/8 x 12 x 1/8) Folger-Adams electric strike for out swinging doors: FLP-211-SL (1-3/4 x 11 x 1/4) ============================================================================

Reply to
Bogus

I have a Multi Lock with a guard plate. I think the lock setup itself is jimmy proof. But someone jammed a screwdriver (or something) under the astragal which is attached to the stationary door.

The doors are oak and original to the house (1901). I don't want to replace them, nor do I want to cover them behind a gate.

The locksmith who looked at the job said to jimmy proof a door, you must have a single door in a frame. And that it can't be done with double doors.

Reply to
rogue_petunia

Yes, I will install bolts at the top and bottom of the stationary door to reinforce the flush bolts that are in there, and over 100 years old.

The stationary door already has a wooden astragal attached to cover the gap and I can see that because the active door has a gradual warp, the front plane of the active door does not actually touch the astragal (3/8" gap). If the wooden astragal was replaced with a metal strip, the gap would still exist because the warp is in the active door. This is where there is plenty of opportunity to shove a screwdriver in.

Is there a way to use a "j bar" between the two doors instead of a flat metal strip? And is it really even called a "j bar"?

Reply to
rogue_petunia

Thanks, but those are all for outswinging doors. I have double inswinging doors. I looked through the Don-Jo catalogue and did not see any anti-jimmy product for double inswinging doors.

Reply to
rogue_petunia

IF, you dont need to open FROM THE OUTSIDE.. then they make a 'bar, that slips under the door knob and braces to the floor, to help slow down a 'kick in', attack..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me>

Do you know if there is an "interlock" for inswinging double doors? I have only seen the type for a single door. Like this one:

Thanks a lot, Rogue Petunia

Reply to
rogue_petunia

An astrigal is attached to the passive door, a mullion is a post in the middle of the two doors and can be made stationary or removable.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Whups. Yes. "Engage mind before putting fingers in gear."

Thanks a mullion...

Reply to
Joe Kesselman