lock picks

Hi all I am a window and door service engineer and of course i have to drill out a barrell now and then after a lockout or lost keys etc.

I am however going to learn to pick locks to aide my work

Can anyone please suggest a good starting lockpick set and where in the uk i may order one

Should only be working on simple domestic barrels with pins

Have read up a fair bit but have not yet practised so just need advice on a simple pickset there seems to be so many to choose from.

BTIA

Reply to
grom-it

not knowing your laws there, make CERTAIN its legal for you to 'carry'..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

That's the advice: Simple.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Use Google-It is your friend.

Reply to
goma865

you can make them out of street sweeper brush bristles.

Reply to
billb

Ahhh yes mate but can you safely pick your nose with them?

Reply to
jack robintard

In most of Eurpoe owning lockpicks is legal for the simple reason that in order to use them effectively you must invest time upon time and constantly practice this perishable skill. Every burglar in the world would just kick in a door or bust a window, using lockpicks is purely Hollywood. Unless you count the hardcore professional thief, but then this guy would probobly be hitting bigger targets and most domestic areas would have no need to worry.

I wish America was so logical.

Reply to
ragtag99

Excellent description.

Reply to
Radrunner

Buying lock picks is like buying a pencil. I can buy a pencil, but can't write poetry. You can (probably) buy picks. But it will take a couple years of practice to get any kind of skill.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You can pick your nose. YOu can pick your friends. But can you pick your friends nose?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No kidding. And the perishable is a good one too. Stop practicing and it's back to square one. Although having the key to look at while learning to pick is surprisingly helpful.

Reply to
Tom Rauschenbach

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-#spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:nk93f.35139$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

yea, he must have been watching too much tv ;-) seriously, if he can legally posses a pic set ? the simple novas pick set from HPC would probably workout good for him..

works for me...

Reply to
Key

Oh, gosh don't do that... a new operator needs at least 200 picks in the set. It's only after five years or so when you get down to a Tylo set.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

i suppose you could but nose picking requires the person doing the picking to be intimately aware of where to pick. that can only be done thru careful coordination between the feel of the nose and a corresponding movement of the finger.

Reply to
billb

What, .........5 years !!. I've had the same pick set for 15 years. I've only replaced the rake pick 6 times in that period, and a few wrenches and tweezers wrenches. I only ever use an Ilco Unican Rake pick No LA0024XXXX. I bought a pack of 5 picks about 12 years ago, and have one left in the bag. You know the ones, black steel and you slip on a hard plastic colored handle, the tip looks like ======NM. The leather holster looks pretty good for it's age, with the help of a few rubber bands.

Reply to
Steve Paris

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-#spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ocg3f.41178$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

you are 100% on that, but nahhh, couldn't wish that one anyone :-) well ??? maybe a few :-)

Reply to
Key

think he meant 5 years of practice..

why don't you use one of them rue jewel pouches for a holster ? couldn't pass that one up steve :-)

Reply to
Key

It's well known (at least to the folks I learned from) that new guys want the biggest, baddest set. After a couple years, you figure out that you only use two or three tools, and the rest of the kit collects dust.

As for me, I typically use four tools. But not all at the same time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"More and more, the intractable problems in our society have one answer: broad-based intolerance of unacceptable conditions and a commitment by many to fix problems."

h miers.

Reply to
billb

just wondering what that is in reference to? What are the problems that can be solved by broad based intolerance, and the commitment by many to fix problems?

There are many examples of such a theory in history i suppose, such as the holocaust, and i guess my ultimate concern is who is to say what the 'intractable problems' are and in what form the 'commitment by many to fix the problem' is.

I mean, if this is in relation to owning lockpicks (which is the general mood of this discussion), Europe sees it as a whimsical hobby to pick locks while the US sees it as a satanic act (or equivilant to.) Im just worried that your satement is intended to be read as "the intractable problem of burglary can be solved by everyone agreeing to not own lockspicks besides locksmiths" which has already been proven false in much more tolerent nations in Europe.

But if it was meant to be read "the intractable problem of stiffiling oppresion through fear of the unknown can be overcome by grown men and women being free to study what they like to increase understanding, help in practical situations and thus promote higher education and a generally more tolerent and learned society" then I couldn't agree more with your statement.

Its just a bit ambiguous in this context so i couldnt help but to ask.

Thanks,

Jesse

Reply to
ragtag99