looking for a safe for home

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong group for this. I was looking for a good safe to get for our new home. Something maybe 2.0 to 2.5 cubic feet, with fire protection and a rotating dial lock mechanism.

Do you guys know of any good brands to look for? If this is the wrong group, what group do you recommend I try?

Thanks in advance, Jeff

Reply to
skrooby

Hello Jeff,

I'd recommend visiting your local locksmith shop, to get a better look at the products they support (in case you have trouble later).

Based on the desired use (simple security for a coin/bullion collection, fire protection for valuable documents, etc.) they may also be able to provide input more specific to your needs, or even have a floor model to show you.

You also did not mention whether you wanted a visible or concealed safe (in a closet, hidden inside a wall, under a rug in the corner bedroom floor, etc.)

Good luck!

David

Reply to
Bogus

what "Bogus" said jeff...

Reply to
Key

Jeff said he wants fire protection.

You want to specify this more precisely. Protecting paper is *much* easier and more affordable than protecting photographic or computer media (completely different rating class).

You may also want to think hard about whether you care about security. Getting both fire protection and burglary protection in a single box also increases the cost. Depending on your needs, it may actually be better to go with two smaller safes, a serious one for valuables (negligible fire protection) and a cheap fire chest for papers (negligible security). Or to simply give in and rent a safe deposit box to replace one or both of those, which is sometimes the most cost-effective solution.

Work up a more detailed description of what kinds of things you're trying to protect from what, then sit down and talk to someone who can take the time to show you multiple alternatives (including floor safes, if you've got a suitable place for mounting one) and discuss their advantages and disadvantages.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

There are many good brands; the difficult part is picking the particular models which suit your actual needs. See my other note; you want to sit down and discuss those in detail with someone.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Hello Joe,

I thought my general response was appropriate, but based on KEYS response, I was apparently wrong. (Advising fire protection is needed was similar to saying, I need life insurance...)

Thanks for putting it another way, and mucho thanks for introducing the important point of industry ratings without going into grain of sand details!

- David

Reply to
Bogus

I wasn't criticising, just tossing my own two cents in.

And should provoke the same response: Why do you think you need it? What are you protecting, how much protection do you need, is insurance really the best way to get that protection rather than self-insuring...?

(If you have no dependents, life insurance is a losing bet!)

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Hello Joe,

I agree completely, and my thanks was genuine.

Best regards, David

Reply to
Bogus

Hello again,

Humble apologies to you Key, sometimes rhetorical interpretation is misapplied, a cursed byproduct of Evelyn Woods old time speed reading methodologies i'm sure!

(I use the Bogus handle from disdain of spam, my name really is David.)

- David

Reply to
Bogus

the above wasn't my response Joe

Reply to
Key

wasn't my response David. I just agreed with it.

g'day

Reply to
Key

no apologies nessessary David. looks like I was agreeing with you anyway.

Reply to
Key

Shrug. Yeah. Sorry.

Reply to