macs

whats the MACS on an A2 Best? cant find it listed anywhere...

somneone asked me and I have no clue.. Thanks..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Thats because there is no MACS with Best A2...

0's can go next to 9's, 1's next to 8's it just doesn't matter... I have seen it in factory systems, and done it myself in keying systems I have created...

Evan, ~~formerly a maintenance man, now a college student

Reply to
Evan

MACS for Best is the number of increments less one for all systems, i.e. A2 = 10 depths, MACS = 9. In other words, everything is usable in all systems. BBE.

--Shiva-- wrote:

Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.

thanks.. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Which is another part of the reason Best was so hugely popular for large sites... Many changes, combined with additional chambers, combined with better-than-average manufacturing quality so they're inherently more able to tolerate being mastered.

Good illustration of the value of getting the basics right.

Now if only they hadn't had a habit of selling past the locksmith... <smile/> Not that I can entirely blame them for wanting to capture the whole job.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

emphasis, MANY changes possible..

friend, 40 miles away got 'suckered' into working on a Best system, and he hollered for some info-knew everything but the macs..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I remember from some where that when William Best proposed his idea, that the Corbin and Russwin folks didn't think it would work. He said "never mind you guys" and went straight to the customer.

I don't have a source for this except my memory.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

actually for a BIG customer, I can see advantages to it.. 'phone'.. MR LOCKSMITH, I need my locks rekeyed, 500 of them, TODAY.. (there isnt THAT many hours in a day, unfortunately..)

and the only time on the Best is air plane shipping, plus install.. as opposed to MANY MANY hours of repinning, etc..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Your memory is faulty this time. The inventor of the SFIC was named Walter Best. He initially established the company as capable of manufacturing and then tried to sell the patent. When he offered it for sale everyone knew it was a viable product from an operational point of view, they just didn't have confidence in it as a long term concept. All that in 1921. Obviously everyone turned him down and as a result he started what would become one of the longest family owned businesses in this industry. BBE.

Storm>

Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.

Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.

e-hem... :)

"In 1912 Frank Best conceived the concept of the interchangeable lock called the 'core".

"In 1966 Walter Best became President and Chairman of the Board of Best Lock Corporation"

Bob DeWeese, CML snipped-for-privacy@spaambearlock.com (remove "no spaam")

Bear Lock & Security Service, Inc - A full service locksmith company specializing in professional, cost effective solutions to your Commercial, Residential, Safe, and Automotive Security Problems.

<>< The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; Let the distant shores rejoice. Clouds and thick darkness surround him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him and consumes His foes on every side. His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles. The mountains melt like wax before the Lord, before the lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim his righteousness, and the all the people see His glory. Psalm 97:1-6 ,
Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Billy, you must have posted seconds before me. I thought I had you on that one!

Bobby [ head deflating]

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Did Stanley tools buy them out? Does anybody have anything on this??

Reply to
goma865

Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.