Need key for old street fire alarm

I got an old street fire alarm when a small city was changing their fire system. It's red and antique-looking, just kind of interesting to have in an engineer's room. The problem is that the person who gave it to me didn't get a key and now nobody has it. I'd like to get in it and clean out the wires and spiders and then maybe turn it into a room control panel or something (I'm a gadgeter/tinkerer). I don't want to drill it out. Any ideas how to get a key make for it? I don't know what year it is, but am broadly guessing the 40's.

Reply to
eshadd

bluedog? maybe?

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

There are a few different keys for the boxes. Some are barrel keys (post in the center of the keyway), some are round without the hole, & some are flat. There are a few on eBay (type in fire alarm key). If you could find a locksmith that has been in business for a lot of years he might have some old keys laying around. I have a lot of old keys but without knowing what brand of box or what type of key it is it's a crap shoot.

Leon Rowell

snipped-for-privacy@ebmud.com wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

It's a Gamewell and the slot for the key is flat. If you have any further help with that information, then it's appreciated. Even if not, thanks for the direction. I'm going to ask the locksmith's around here first, and if not, then might try eBay. Thanks again Leon.

Reply to
eshadd

No problem. If nothing else copying a couple of pictures off of eBay might help your local locksmith come up with something. If you don't find anything drop me an e-Mail.

Leon

snipped-for-privacy@ebmud.com wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

Looking at E-bay pics of some of the Gamewell flat keys, they would be available in quite a number of differs. It is possible too that a wide variety of manufacturers' locks could be used which means that the fire department ordering them could specify that they work with the fire department's own standard key.

More to the point would be to try and obtain the specific fire department key, which may not be possible if the department still uses that key for other purposes.

Reply to
Peter