New Kwikset design seen Saturday

I had a report this morning that Kwikset has a new design with a side bar, and that to change the combination, you use a technique a lot like the U-Change locks.

I am curious if anyone else has seen one of these?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

old technology.. the local lumber yard has one on display, its bump proof, homeowner changes the key as needed in SECONDS, and he has had it sitting on his desk since last year-they just never made it into production YET.. One of the trade magazines did an article on it within the last several months-and this one is not IIRR a side bar design.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

They were making a pretty big deal out of it at the ALOA convention. I guess U-Change's patent is up. :)

Go to

and check out "Smart Key"

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

I doubt that there was an infringement the design is rather different.

I talked to the gal at Home Depot and they have had them for about 2 weeks now.

I bought one to play with and While picking and bumping will have no effect on these locks, they suffer from the same condition as the original Briggs and Stratton locks used from the 30's to the 60's and the magic number is

243, not 64. I suspect however a destructive approach will be the rule of practicality for lockouts however.

There is no provision to MK them, and we will probably be seeing lots of them in the future.

Kwikset makes a reset tool for locks that have had the combination dropped, you can do it by hand however, but I would recommend disassembly inside of a clear plastic bag.

You have five tiny sliders, 4 small springs, and a small ball bearing, and the side bar to lose so be careful.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Good tip about the "Clear Plastic Bag" Roger.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Cann

You say that like it's a bad thing.

It is much better to let these kind of folks go on their way.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I will tell them to go back to whoever they bought it from.. they can fix it..LOL

--Shiva--

Reply to
me