Pick Gun

Years ago I saw a patent for a device for opening locks that operated on a different principle from the common pick guns. The power unit (tensioner) was inserted in the lock like a two-prong tension tool, and torqued the plug rapidly in alterate clockwise and counterclockwise directions. A "pick" was used to raise all the pins above the sheer line, and the pins were then allowed to work their way down. Supposedly, the rapid oscillation of the tensioner would bind the pins, allowing them to descend only a little at a time. The pins were then supposed to bind at the sheer line under the influence of the rapid oscillations and the lock was then supposed to open.

Anyone know anything about this device. Frankly, it sounded a bit "pie in the sky" to me. While the pins may bind at the sheer line momentarily, I would think they would thereafter blow right past it as the oscillations continue unless the lock is really, really sloppy.

Reply to
polrick

Sounds pretty walter-mitty to me.

Remember, a patent is no evidence that the device actually _works_.

(I do have a legitimate patent to my name, though in a different field.)

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (address as shown

Found it. It is U.S. Patent 4,606,204 to Cooke. The following is a link to the patent in the US Patent and Trademark Office web site. You have to reassemble it, as by successive cuts and pastes.

The patent states, in pertinent part:

The oscillator unit is pushed in the direction that you wish the lock cylinder to turn. This bends the adapter spring arm member slightly and puts a little pressure on the adapter assembly and the lock cylinder plug. When the lock opening mechanism is turned on with the switch. The oscillator unit rod moves back and forth causing the spring steel arm member to move back and forth. This causes the adaper assembly to move the lock cylinder plug back and forth rapidly. Thus, the adapter assembly asserts repeatedly, a rotary motion on the lock cylinder plug. Quick opening of the lock is made possible by inserting a lock pick to the rear of the lock cylinder plug and picking each pin up until all the pins have been picked upward. While holding this vibrating tension on the lock cylinder plug with the lock opening device, the operator gently turns the lock cylinder plug with the pick in the opposite direction from which the lock opening device is applying the most of its pressure. The upper pins will then vibrate down to the sheer line and the lock opening mechniasm will turn the cylinder open before the tumbler pins can pass the sheer line of the lock cylinder. The lock opening device oscillates its shaft very fast (approx. 3500 C.P.M.) and this causes the lock cylinder plug to grip the lock tumber pins many times and release them many times each minute. The tumbler pins are alternatively, in a stationary state and a movable state many times a minute. Therefore, they can be manipulated by the operator to open the lock with little difficulty. The lock opening device will operate when the tumbler pins are raked, picked or even pushed up all at once. Thus, the operator has a choice of ways to use the device.

Yes, I know patented devices don't always work, and that even if they do there are many that are not practical.

Reply to
polrick

FWIW, you can avoid folks having to cut and paste by just putting a "longish" URL inside two "angle brackets" like this:

Or if you really want to get fancy, go to:

and "shrink it" into this URL:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Sure woulda helped if I'd put the WHOLE URL inside those angle brackets, wouldn't it? Like this:

And then, the tiny url would have come out as:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia