Re: Yellow Page Idea's

Dear RC, All kidding aside, and with deep serious here. I've been in business since 1986, and every customer I've talked to wants to "get someone close". So, if you put nothing else in your ad, be doubledamn sure to put your store location. I mean, people will call and say "Oh, you're in...." and ask me what town I'm in. It's that important to people.

I tried an ad one time which said "Residential, automotive, industrial, commercial" and said what two counties I wanted to serve. It drew almost no business. People would look at the phone number, and try to figure out from that where I am.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

---snip---

automotive, industrial,

It drew almost no

to figure out from

phone numbers are not good locaters anymore. these days, one can move and take their existing numbers with them.

Reply to
"Key

For a small ad I'd go color. A white background, black or blue bold print. I'd at least double the size of the phone number and make it bold red for those people with poor vision. Maybe the glasses are locked in the house. Put down what you do and when you do it, 24/7, weekends, holidays. Give average county wide response time, years experence, maybe bonded and insured, depends on room.

An old friend of mine who ran the press at the old Houston Post told me the most recognised color is red when used with a yellow background and blue print for a card or white background in the yellow pages.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

thanks guys.. did something like this...

A-1 Action Services (Bold) then in a box below (All Centered in ad) Roger Cann, Owner Locksmithing since 1986 "Your KEY provider" (Bold) (space) "Call on A-1 for your best price" (Bold Italic) Now with an easy number to remember (Bold Italic) (space) NC locksmith License #0134

125 Mann Blvd. Newport..............223-1111 (Number Big and Bold) been doing the big ad thing for quite some time.. built up some good clientele over the years.. now just like to cut back a little bit and safe some money.. don't like going out of town that much anymore... not that hungry..lol thanks again for the advice and let me know what you think about the slogan I just made up.. "your key provider" kind of a double meaning! I'm sure somebody else is using it too.. just haven't seen it locally yet.. rc
Reply to
"RC" da "PCDJ

Reply to
"RC" da "PCDJ

Reply to
"RC" da "PCDJ

Don't know about over there, but here _EVERYONE _uses the "LOCAL" tradesman. So, to cash in on this and not lose out on all the other suburbs / towns etc, we put in 'BIG' bold print at the top of our Yellow Pages ad EDMONTON and directly below in slightly smaller print, 'and ALL SUBURBS', then under that our business name, what services we provide, and below in large letters our contact details. Nothing fancy, no pictures of padlocks etc, just really highlight your suburb. I spent a small fortune on big colour ads years ago, but this 3" X 3" black & white ad is 100 times more effective.

Reply to
Steve Paris

Reply to
"RC" da "PCDJ

do..

there're not as

no more deals on

if your rep doesn't want to do what you ask. go over their head till someone does. (bottom line, they want your business) higher managment understands problems and customer relations better than the reps. works for me...

I have a 2.5" column ad and I pay them to put exactly what I want in it.

g'day

Reply to
"Key

thanks, I think I'll try that! (going over her head)

My rep is a real snob! I almost didn't put anything in the book at all.. hell it's a diffferent county that I really don't want to go to anyway. Just want people to be able to at least call on another lockey without ONE guy dictating the whole market too.. Besides that the book is one for a nearby USMC Base that I' wouldn't mind getting some jobs for in the future. (future contracts) rc

Reply to
"RC" da "PCDJ

the book at all..

go to anyway. Just

without ONE guy

I' wouldn't mind

when I was having problems with my local rep. I requested to do business only with the main office down south louisiana. been dealing with them every year since.

g'luck

Reply to
"Key

"Dang Tootin" ! I designed our ad on the computer, just a simple black and white (well, yellow) ad. The Yellow pages 'penthouse model' girl they send out every year, to try to 'up sell' you, said it was way too plain, and needed to be colour, (extra $600). Now, with a page full of tizzy colour ads, mine sticks out like dogs balls. But every year they ring to say do I need to see one of their sales people, or do I just want to run the same ad, .... "HELL YES, send your sales rep", ..... something to look forward to every ear. :-)

Reply to
Steve Paris

The last time I got an ad they tried to tell me what I can and can't do. I very politely looked at the rep and told her she was fired, no penthouse model though. Her eyes bugged out , I went over her head, and got exactly what I wanted.

Reply to
Glen Cooper