Re: Yellow Page Idea's

Dear RC,
All kidding aside, and with deep serious here. I've been in business
since 1986, and every customer I've talked to wants to "get someone close".
So, if you put nothing else in your ad, be doubledamn sure to put your store
location.
I mean, people will call and say "Oh, you're in...." and ask me what
town I'm in. It's that important to people.
I tried an ad one time which said "Residential, automotive, industrial,
commercial" and said what two counties I wanted to serve. It drew almost no
business. People would look at the phone number, and try to figure out from
that where I am.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
---snip---
automotive, industrial,
It drew almost no
to figure out from
phone numbers are not good locaters anymore. these days, one can move and take their existing numbers with them.
Reply to
"Key
For a small ad I'd go color. A white background, black or blue bold print. I'd at least double the size of the phone number and make it bold red for those people with poor vision. Maybe the glasses are locked in the house. Put down what you do and when you do it, 24/7, weekends, holidays. Give average county wide response time, years experence, maybe bonded and insured, depends on room.
An old friend of mine who ran the press at the old Houston Post told me the most recognised color is red when used with a yellow background and blue print for a card or white background in the yellow pages.
Reply to
Glen Cooper
thanks guys.. did something like this...
A-1 Action Services (Bold) then in a box below (All Centered in ad) Roger Cann, Owner Locksmithing since 1986 "Your KEY provider" (Bold) (space) "Call on A-1 for your best price" (Bold Italic) Now with an easy number to remember (Bold Italic) (space) NC locksmith License #0134 125 Mann Blvd. Newport..............223-1111 (Number Big and Bold) been doing the big ad thing for quite some time.. built up some good clientele over the years.. now just like to cut back a little bit and safe some money.. don't like going out of town that much anymore... not that hungry..lol thanks again for the advice and let me know what you think about the slogan I just made up.. "your key provider" kind of a double meaning! I'm sure somebody else is using it too.. just haven't seen it locally yet.. rc
Reply to
"RC" da "PCDJ
Good Points! one thing though with the size of the column ad I chose I was limited to a few certain size fonts.. 11 being the largest.. and number placement had to be at the bottom after your location.. so the font was already smaller then you'd like to see. Thanks for the input... I'm a firm believer that 2, 3, 4, ect. ect. heads are better then one! Newsgroups rock! Thanks again for all the help guys! rc
Reply to
"RC" da "PCDJ
Don't know about over there, but here _EVERYONE _uses the "LOCAL" tradesman. So, to cash in on this and not lose out on all the other suburbs / towns etc, we put in 'BIG' bold print at the top of our Yellow Pages ad EDMONTON and directly below in slightly smaller print, 'and ALL SUBURBS', then under that our business name, what services we provide, and below in large letters our contact details. Nothing fancy, no pictures of padlocks etc, just really highlight your suburb. I spent a small fortune on big colour ads years ago, but this 3" X 3" black & white ad is 100 times more effective.
Reply to
Steve Paris
ad I chose I was
largest.. and number
the font was
ect. ect. heads
your paying for the ad, right ? Yellow Page should put anything you want in any order you want. don't let them tell you what to put or how to arange an ad that your paying for.
my2¢
Reply to
"Key
but dang if they don't try to tell you what to or not to do.. It's just an in column ad so they got some strange rules.. there're not as nice as they used to be.. won't work with you at all and no more deals on extra ads now.. they went ballistic around here a couple years ago. rc
Reply to
"RC" da "PCDJ
cool thanks for the input. Had a sister-in-law living in Australia, wanted to go there some kind of bad. moved back to china then on to Taiwan.. so I guess now my next vacation I'm going to Taiwan to see the whole damn family and eat some strange food! would've rather gone the outback route though! Can't have everything I guess. rc
Reply to
"RC" da "PCDJ
do..
there're not as
no more deals on
if your rep doesn't want to do what you ask. go over their head till someone does. (bottom line, they want your business) higher managment understands problems and customer relations better than the reps. works for me...
I have a 2.5" column ad and I pay them to put exactly what I want in it.
g'day
Reply to
"Key
thanks, I think I'll try that! (going over her head)
My rep is a real snob! I almost didn't put anything in the book at all.. hell it's a diffferent county that I really don't want to go to anyway. Just want people to be able to at least call on another lockey without ONE guy dictating the whole market too.. Besides that the book is one for a nearby USMC Base that I' wouldn't mind getting some jobs for in the future. (future contracts) rc
Reply to
"RC" da "PCDJ
the book at all..
go to anyway. Just
without ONE guy
I' wouldn't mind
when I was having problems with my local rep. I requested to do business only with the main office down south louisiana. been dealing with them every year since.
g'luck
Reply to
"Key
""Key"" snipped-for-privacy@Ya.net wrote in message
"Dang Tootin" ! I designed our ad on the computer, just a simple black and white (well, yellow) ad. The Yellow pages 'penthouse model' girl they send out every year, to try to 'up sell' you, said it was way too plain, and needed to be colour, (extra $600). Now, with a page full of tizzy colour ads, mine sticks out like dogs balls. But every year they ring to say do I need to see one of their sales people, or do I just want to run the same ad, .... "HELL YES, send your sales rep", ..... something to look forward to every ear. :-)
Reply to
Steve Paris
The last time I got an ad they tried to tell me what I can and can't do. I very politely looked at the rep and told her she was fired, no penthouse model though. Her eyes bugged out , I went over her head, and got exactly what I wanted.
Reply to
Glen Cooper

Site Timeline