Regulation Stupidity.

I am not a member of any of our Australian Locksmith associations yet, so this is second hand from a member of the executive of our main association. THey have regulation in other states here, but not ours yet, and they cannot hold our annual conferences in these states because the way the regulations have been written will not permit people from overseas etc come here and do training courses etc. as they are not licensed here and citizens here , with police checks etc.

The list of things seems to go on and on and the reality of what we will probably end up with is just another form of tax, and beuracrats to deal with, slow us down , and muck us around.

But yes, it might give a small amount of added confidence to the general public.

I dont think they have any problem at the moment though.

Reply to
Chris

Obviously your in Queensland, as I am. We, thankfully, don't look like getting licensing up here in the foreseeable future. Talking to other Lockies in other states, seems all it does is strip cash out of your wallet. The main two advantages of belonging to a national Locksmith guild or association is 1) being able to be recognised by the public as a qualified professional with all associated expectations and assurances a customer requires. 2) The use of the associations registered / restricted key systems. I guess you could include a third plus for membership, and that is various trade update courses, and trade demonstrations of product and techniques, but unless you actually live in the capital city, you get absolutely no support regionally, in fact your lucky to even get the associations news letter, which is pretty crappy considering the annual membership fees run into hundreds of dollars.

Reply to
Steve Paris

ok, but this is a SEPARATE issue from stale/local licensing requirements.. totally 2 kettles of fish, so to speak

2) The use of the associations registered / restricted key

dont see that.. you got 10 grand, you got your OWN exclusive keyway.. OR, you in some cases can use your suppliers keyway..

I guess you could include a third plus for membership, and that is

IF they offer and have them, YES YES!!!

and trade demonstrations of product and

can be yes..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Why would you want to spend 10 grand on a keyway when you can get a fully supported restricted system for ZERO. ??. 'Suppliers' restricted keyways are available here, but have never really caught on for whatever reason. The Guild / Locksmith association member retains the ownership of the intellectual property of his systems, and say, upon the sale of his business the existing customer systems can be sold with the business, or on sold to another full member. System 'parts' can be borrowed or sold between members, systems can be 'on sold' to associated (not full) members, with the originating locksmith retaining the intellectual property ownership of the 'on sold' system. In other words, the 'other' locksmith does all the work, but you still own the system he installed. You make money off his work. Lots of far reaching benefits $$$ wise, and all for ZERO dollars (membership dues excluded of coarse).

Reply to
Steve Paris

they DO have their uses.. take a big college, or even a city- its THEIR keyway, and they know WHO can get blanks, nobody but them. and HERE, ESPECIALLY in MY area.. its not fully supported as such that you are describing

I can get into 2 or 3 'vendor owned' keyway systems, and for the most part that IS sufficient.. but they are not totally 'copy resistant'.. another 'smith, COULD, with proof of ownership, copy/add keys to the system, bypassing the person that did install/set up the original. it then becomes 'the owners problem' to keep key control. The lock shops are then out of the loop..which can cause problems. We got different things that can happen here, as opposed to what you have in Oz..

The big town to my East has 2 DIFFERENT Assa restricted keyway systems, each sold by a different locksmith, They also sell the 'generic' nationwide Assa blank systems, and

1 has his own Abloy. a Door Wholesaler sells Schlage Primus.. (whatever the new system is)

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

customer

Reply to
Dave

G'day Dave, yes I agree to a point, but I know 'some' young Locky guys, fresh out of Tech College that think they will 'change the world' when they hit the street, and then end up working in Woolworth's packing shelves. They might be good tradie's but have little business or personal skills, or they just want to party and smoke dope. Doesn't matter how many certificates you have hanging on your wall, if your not prepared to do the mundane, boring jobs, as well as do the after hours stuff that eats into your weekends and personal free time, you won't get too far. I also know a load of older Locksmiths that never had the opportunity to attend Tech College, and had to learn the trade the 'old way', never the less they have built very successful, thriving businesses, and have made an excellent living from all the hard work they have put into their business over many years. Myself included. Cheers Dave.

Reply to
Steve Paris

Hey Steve

The qld govt is apparently now pushing for regulation !

The MLAA i believe is now opposed to it big time. Lol.

Hows that for a big turn around all round hey.

It will become widely known soon i guess, I heard form someone close to the action.

cant remember what the main concerns of mlaa were, but it is based on the fact that we are likely to have a system based on those in other states, and they are terrified by how un workable some things are in other states.

Chris ,bris.

Reply to
Chris

G'day mate. I'm a member of 'The Locksmiths Guild Of Australia'. The word from the top is that it (licensing) has been put on the back burner, for at least the foreseeable future. The government only wants the bloody revenue off it anyway. They couldn't give a tinkers cuss about talking to anyone about formulating a decent and workable licensing system. Just look what they have done to the QLD fishing industry, or sugar, or dairy. Sh*t, don't get me started !!

Reply to
Steve Paris