Remote cloning-Average charge???

I'd especially like to hear from someone in the economy-ravaged midwest-smaller towns.

Thanks in Advance, goma.

Reply to
goma865

Seems to me I would make a few calls to the competition and ask about their costs in replacing lost remotes.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Nobody does this???????????????????????????

Reply to
goma865

Well, I don't, but I'm a part-timer and I have no objection to sending folks to someone else who handles stuff I don't.

I suspect that in an economy-ravaged small town, folks just manage without the remote when they lose it. Remotes aren't _necessary_; we all grew up with these odd-shaped metal objects, and most cars still need one before you can start the engine...

You might want to turn the question around and ask whether there's really a market for this service in your area, and what price your customers would tolerate. If they won't pay enough to justify the investment, then it doesn't matter what the guy in the next town over is charging -- he may still have made a mistake putting his money into this hardware and inventory rather than something else.

(In other words, the question isn't what price folks are asking: it's what price they're _getting_ and how often.)

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

^I'm doing that now.Just wanted to see prices here in the midwest, mainly Indiana. Thanks Roger

Reply to
goma865

Well, I'm a part-timer,too. I am not going to set any prices on what some other guy in some other town charges.I was hoping there might be one or 2 lockies in Indiana so I could look at it statewide. Maybe my expression of "economy-ravaged" was a little too much-I think there is a market-I have talked to some of my customers about it. I know better than to ask what cost "they would tolerate"-I know exactly what the answer would be.Too damn low. I'll do some asking around and let you know what I find out. later, goma

Reply to
goma865

maybe go look at Lockmasters, think thats the place.. someone showed the remotes and the needed info to add.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--
<snip>

Well, I did check around a few places so far. the guy at NAPA told me that a few years ago, they did carry some cloneables, but after a while alot of them got returned because they failed. This was some kind of aftermarket deal-he could'nt recall the mfgr, only that it started with a "c". AutoZone does not do any cloning of remotes, though the guy said they can order but it takes a while. Advance Auto parts does not clone remotes and does not order them-the guy there said about the same thing you did about-people just using the key.He did say they get a few people asking about that. So maybe you are right-I should stick to the basics for now.

great talkin with ya, thanks, goma

Reply to
goma865