`Safe cracking' article and matt Blaze

That'd be University of Pennsylvania. Penn State U. is a different institution. You probably want to get that right when you, you know, write your nasty letters, file your lawsuits, or what have you. `

I'm only a consumer in the realm of physical security, but personally, I'd be outraged that the "professionals" are trying to keep this information secret from me. In the computer security realm, the professionals tend to be fairly open with their clients about what their system is capable of. I'd expect no lower standard of professionalism here.

You probably won't find a very receptive audience, and you probably shouldn't even bother writing, to be honest.

Also, WRT copyrighted photographs, academic use is generally protected under fair use, so you probably won't get too far there, either.

In other words, you've little recourse. Making a big stink only makes you look a bit silly. One option you may wish to consider is to follow what is generally considered de rigeur in the software industry: acknowledge the vulnerbility, and publish a workaround and a fix. Of course, that costs money--yours, not the consumers'--but then, that's the result of designing insecure products. Vulnerabilities happen to even the best designer, after all. Try not to take it so personally.

Reply to
Dan

Seems to be some confusion here--on the nature of debating, at least; saying "sure it does" or "no it doesn't" does nothing to further your case.

So, here's what I see as a rational position. Defining "security through obscurity" as relying on the secrecy of a design rather than the secrecy of a password, code, or other authentication token is poor design. The reason is a very simple calculation of the amount of secrecy preserved.

In a password-protected computer system with, say, an 8 character password comprised of [A-Z][a-z][0-9], there are 8^62 possible passwords. Assuming a pseudo-random (i.e. "secure") password, that gives an attacker a 1/8^62 chance of successfully guessing the password on a given try; i.e., on average, it will take 8^31 guesses to get the right password. This is security through a very small amount of secret information; keeping the functioning of the code behind the password authentication mechanism secret ads relatively little value (there are only a handful of likely designs of such a system in any given language and larger system design; i.e. knowing the parameters of the system, I can make a much narrower guess at the implementation).

Comparatively, in a non-password-protected system relying on an obscure entrance mechanism--say, a Webpage with a URL not linked to from a search engine or public page--the mechanism is still easily guessed, because it contains much less random information. For instance, Reuters did just this

Or, let me present an example in the case of safes. We can generalize the methods of accessing a safe in two ways: via knowing (or guessing) the authentication mechanism (key, code, etc) or by bypassing the requirement for authentication. In the former case, obscurity gains quite literally nothing; as I discussed above, with a sufficient amount of secret random data, there's no value in keeping the mechanism also secret. In the latter case, it may be tempting to say that obscurity is worthwhile here, but it probably is not: anyone can disassemble a safe to determine how it functions, and the mechanical principles used are simple enough that it wouldn't take a rocket scientist (or a locksmith) to see the holes (as in the case of Blaze's master keyed sytems paper, where the vulnerability was well known and readily apparent to anyone who understood the system). So obscurity ads little or no value, and may in fact detract: by assuming the inner workings are secret, a lock designer may disregard vulnerabilities that would become apparent to anyone who *did* know the inner workings, meaning that mere disassembly--or a leak of the product designs--may be sufficient information to bypass the (much harder to come-by) password.

So obscurity clearly ads little or no value in a secure system, and if a system relies on its workings being secret, that reliance is false. You can find more literature on this on the Web, of course, in relation to computer security, but I believe it is even more applicable when it comes to physical security, where relatively less expertise is needed to understand at least simple locking mechanisms (I'm not a physical security expert, obviously, but I can understand how a master keyed cylinder lock works--and spot the hole--without any training or background).

Cheers.

Reply to
Dan

If I was an aspiring safe cracker, I think

would be a lot easier reading than "Safecracking for the computer scientist."

As a person interested in computer security, I prefer actual security over pretending flaws/weaknesses don't exist if no one talks about them.

Reply to
Edwin

Wake up. You so-called professionals in the security field are burying your heads in the sand. Security-through-obscurity has never and will never work.

I am not going to take an elitist stance and belittle anyones training or education. You may be a very smart guy and I am sure you are skilled at what you do. But let's face it, the product that you work with has flaws. Rather than castigating the messenger, you should be working to improve your product. That is the mark of a true professional.

I for one hope this paper gets distributed far and wide. I am going to do my best to make sure it does so...

--Mike

the snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
mfkenney

problem.. we are a 'middle man'.. we do NOT recommend, nor, except for unusual circumstances, 'set requirements'.. EITHER with the manufacturer, OR the consumer. we can say, this is what you MUST HAVE, but, if the manufacturer does not make it (too small a demand) OR the consumer afford it, then we work with what we can. ( the USUAL considering factor in my book is MONEY, the retail customer doesn't have it,) If I could 'wave my magic wand' and fix the security issues, ALL carpenters in the US would be RAN OUT OF THE COUNTRY.. thats for a start..unles they were willing to FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS, and not build 'cheap'

then, the 'construction company bosses would be NEXT' Architects would NEVER be allowed to specify hardware AT ALL. they are IDIOTS, as far as I have seen.. they can say the girder needs to be so big, etc, but NOT touch hardware issues at all.

NO hollow core doors allowed.. NO glass in doors allowed.. NO sheet rock/ 2 by 4/ walls allowed NEAR a door then from there on, we can have some interesting times.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

X-09 is overkill if that is all you want to ahcieve.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Sure it is, against anyone the mechanism remains obscure to.

I'd rather have a

Because you think you will be able to do it better than the manufcaturers that do nothing but? If you really think you can do it better than the pros, and logically why would you, you've got your safe right there don't you? Study it and add some surprises to it. Make sure you know what you are doing though or the only one locked out will be you.

instead of being ignorant, and relying on the

Most safe crackers that will have the information on your lock and box design have knowledge of, and practical experience with, techniques that you have likely never heard of so if it's between you and them with regard to the security of the container and mechanism there's probably not going to be much of a contest. Your best bet: Know and understand the ratings system used for safes and make sure that you have a professionally installed and monitored alarm (forget about the dialer setups commonly used in residential applications if you are serious) that does not allow the time needed relative to what you have because if given enough time the right person WILL get in it or carry it off (I don't care how heavy or well attached it is) no matter what you do. Also keep in mind that somebody can't steal what they can't find.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

---snip---

From the FAQ

Will people on this newsgroup give me information about picking locks, etc.? Yes and No. This is a serious debate, based on serious principles. Most experienced people here are quite willing to discuss the basics of lock construction and operation. Few (if any) are willing to give specific answers regarding opening a particular lock or safe - without knowing the asker or having other evidence that the inquiry is legitimate. Another balancing act regards the general effect of information. As Joe K. put it succinctly, "On one side there are the idealists who believe that even weak security should not be further compromised without good reason; on the other there are those who believe that weak locks should be forced out of the market. There's never going to be agreement here... can we just agree that reasonable people can disagree, and have done with it?"

People have contrasted locksmithing "security by obscurity" with practice in the software arena (in which it has generally been considered to be misguided and therefore be bad for society.) Exposing flaws as a social good breaks down when there are hundreds of thousands of current owners of the product who don't know that the flaw has been exposed. Even if they find out, there is another big difference. This is the cost of correcting the flaw (upgrading.) Installing the patches on your copy of software takes a bit of effort, but you don't have to throw out and purchase a new physical product (such as a lock.) The manufacturer of the lock is pretty certain not to make it available for free. Basically you have to buy a new item and have it replaced, and this adversely impacts users, many of whom do not have the budget to correct the flaw. Therefore publishing the security flaw costs users *much* more for a lock than for a piece of software.

And the fact is that a nominally flawed product _does_ provide adequate security against the unmotivated and ignorant who are the primary folks attacking physical security systems (as opposed to the motivated and clueful who attack electronic security and can do it from a distance without physical presence).

g'day

Reply to
Key

To quote you:

Can I ask: How many times have your relatives been burgled? Do they all live in neighbourhoods that suffer from burglaries? Your security assessment of the threats appear to be non-existent!

Here is an example for you: If you leave your door unlocked for one week: what are the chances of you getting burgled? If you leave your door locked for a week what are the chances of you getting burgled? The answer is: it all depends on the presence of the burglar.

Reply to
drogers

Wait, when exactly security start to suffer ? Is it when the "security profesional"'s design is flawed, or when some other guy reveals it ? The measure of security is absolute, and not dependant of the fact that people know about vulnerabilities.

Besides, I have a problem with what you call "proprietary techniques". Is a vulnerability a proprietary technique ? What I think is that when you call your products "secure" and complain about a guy saying that they're finally not that secure, "proprietary techniques" are actually lies (or "deliberate omissions").

Now let's talk about "the damage it will cause to your profession". Aren't you responsible for your own image ? Do you really feel good when you say something that means "I used to have a good reputation because customers didn't know my products aren't as secure as I claim, now I risk losing that reputation because some guy revealed the truth. Please make him shut up" ?

Pierre.

Reply to
pierre.doucy

Well, Dan sort of had the right idea that you would (on average) have to try half of the possible passwords. However, the calculation should result in 4*8^61 as the number of guesses needed. This is 2^92 times larger or more than a billion billion billion times as many guesses. Big numbers can be tricky.

Dick

Dan wrote: ...

Reply to
dick

Oops. I should never try to do algebra on a Friday.

8^62/2 is what I was trying to say. I don't believe this affects the validity of my point, other than to make it apparent that I'm careless. ;)
Reply to
Dan

I've heard this before--the claim that replacing locks costs more than replacing software. It's possible that this is correct, though the cost of patching software is probably much higher than you think (for a large enterprise, the cost of even a little downtime is quite steep--Amazon.com supposedly loses $180,000 per hour of downtime (according to

Regardless, the debate here is not really technical, but legal (or moral)--does a vendor have a duty to fix a faulty product? In the case of the software industry, there are EULAs--End User License Agreements--that specify a limited liability for the vendor. In the case of the lock industry, is there an equivalent? If you advertise a lock as being resistent to bic-pen-attacks, and it turns out that it can be opened with a bic pen, do you have a duty to replace it? I'd say yes.

So take the case of Kryptonite--had the physical security industry had any sort of "full disclosure" practice, it would have been widely known to the general public (i.e. me) that Kryptonite bike locks are worthless pieces of shit. I never would have bought one, nor would others. As a result, Kryptonite would have had to push the sales of their alternative mechanisms, and may have lost some sales, but in the end, it probably would have been *cheaper* than their current recall program is.

My point is that it's not hard to imagine a situation in which full disclosure does not merely increase the security of the customer, but it also lowers the operating costs of both the customer and the vendor.

And yes, I recognize that some customers will remain unaware of published vulnerabilities, just as they do with software, but ultimately, I believe it is more valuable to reward those who track such things than to punish them in a misguided attempt to serve those who would rather remain ignorant. It provides the *option* of greater security to those who desire it, rather than forcing everyone to maintain the same level of mediocrity (what is this, Soviet Russia?).

Reply to
Dan

Now you're being unfair. Those "IT security guys", of which I am one, have produced some pretty good stuff, if we count cryptographers, even outstanding things.

And its not like they wouldn't tell you how to break a certain insecure product:

They even produced some nice alternative to that product:
for instance -- but if you choose to ignore that work of security pros and instead opt to use an insecure product on whose development the IT security guys in general have no influence on, then please do as you see fit. Just don't blame IT-security in general.

In the 19th century, auguste Kerckhoffs stated: "the security of a cryptosystem must depend only on the key and not on the secrecy of any other part of the system". I don't see why this principle should not extend to locks.

Most vectors of attack on a lock are through design flaws (and if a lock has design flaws, that's definitly a reason to publish them, and get them fixed) and small mechanical inaccuracies (which are merely a measurement for the quality of implementation of a certain mechanism, but for which I don't see any problem on publication either "Company XY lock series Z are shoddily made, and thus easier to crack, but then, they are cheap...") I'm not a locksmith, but only an amateur mainly concerned with historic locks and lockpicking (pre 19th-century); so bear with me if I'm missing some details of the trade. Still I think these points are valid.

In closing, I think we could learn much from each other. The "physical security" guys obviously some lessons about full disclosure, and the "IT security" guys maybe something about incident response.

Cheers Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Apfelkern

With all due respect one thing the computer type people just can't seem to understand is that locks are "real" and are not able to be updated in the same way software which is "virtual" can be....

Everything is relative in the "physical" security world... You select a lock based on a survey of the installation environment and the most likely threats that the lock will be subjected to... ... There is NO SUCH THING as a lock that will keep everyone out, as others here have noted "if it can be built, it can be taken apart" It is only a matter of having the right collection of knowledge and access to tools and time alone with the lock...

The concept of "Security" is not achieved simply through the installation of a lock or a safe... It is the collective achievement of an entire effort of an individual or organization that includes locks as only one element of the greater scheme, which includes but is not limited to:

-- Locks (and the Doors and Walls that contain the room)

-- Security Personnel (Guards, Armed or Un-armed)

-- Electronic Monitoring Systems (CCTV and Burglary Alarms)

-- Policies and Procedures that reinforce the goal of "Security"

-- An Architectural Design that supports the goal of "Security" (Think of a school, which by design is easy to get out of in the event of an emergency... This element of its basic design also makes it easy to get into as wel, and is much more difficult to later adapt such a building to being more "secure" while still remaing "safe" and easy to get out of during an emergency ...)

Please enough with the "security by obscurity" argument... Just because the IT industry moves at the speed of the internet does not mean that others that don't should be made to "catch up with" it in order to considered "acceptable"...

Having some level of the construction, design and assembly of locks remaining somewhat private is a good thing... It does add just a SMALL AMOUNT of added security just by the fact that not everyone knows EXACTLY how it works... What the world does not need is some type of "script kiddies" that can bypass locks that are the ONLY security device being employed simply because one person or even a group of people decided to apply the concepts and procedures employed in the IT industry to locks and physical security under the mistaken impression that revealing the "design flaws, vulenrabililities and most common ways to attack" such devices will make it possible for every lock to be upgraded to "fix or resist" such things... Downloading a software patch is quite easy and cheap when you compare it to actually physically replacing an actual device (in this case a lock)...

Evan ~~formerly a maintenance man, now a college student

Reply to
Evan

Reply to
Robaniz

And this is different from computer security how?

Reply to
Beth

Umm... Last time I checked a building and it's design and equipment were not able to be upgraded simply by downloading a "patch"...

The line between "reality" and computer science seems to be a bit hazy for a lot of people that make statements supportive of certain written documents...

Reply to
Evan

Neither can software be updated in this way.

In some cases it can, but it's a narrow sub-section of the possible case - very difficult to rely on it. Much of today's software is in "embedded" systems - pretty much a closed system for updates, once shipped. For operating systems they're pretty much fixed too - relatively few domestic PC systems get updated after purchase. Even for mass-market retail software, once that "golden master" has been produced, the cost of updates is enormous.

There's also the risk that for many systems you need _all_ members of a network to be secure - just one unpatched box may be enough to expose all of them.

Even worse is the case where the secure component is a major part of an industry standard protocol. How do you fix a protocol like WEP or A5 when there are millions of dependent devices out in service ? The risk might be large, but it's rarely a justification for rendering a whole technology generation obsolete - especially when several manufacturers are involved.

So software has many advantages, but the _practical_ benefits of them are less useful than you might hope.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've seen defective locks on file cabinets replaced faster than a patch can be downloaded and installed. But more to the point, each of the listed items in the post I responded to has parallels in computer security. And quite often, as already stated by Andy Dingley, there's more to solving computer security problems than simply patching defective software.

Then there's the line between what you know think you know about me and what I really am...

Since I only dabble in cryptography on occasion as the mood strikes me, let me engage in some speculation. I suspect Matt Blaze is more interested in the parallels between the design of locks and the design of cryptographic algorithms, and his article is intended to encourage an exchange of ideas between lockmakers and cryptographers.

On the other hand, if I understand correctly, "security through obscurity" is a mistake made as often by lockmakers as by computer and communication equipment manufacturers. There are parallels between physical security and computer security, and each can learn from the other, including learning from the other's mistakes.

Reply to
Beth