Safe work.

They change blanks every couple years. Unlike Adams Rite which ahs been using Y-1 for last 20 or so years.

They keep hiding the linkages in the doors Unlike Kwikset, which always has two screws on the inside of the door.

People are in a big hurry, and call several locksmiths. Figure who gets there first gets their coin.

Cops and security guards and restaurant chefs love to fish around in car doors. Unlike drilling for deadbolts.

I've done car unlockings when it was bitter cold, and I had to rewarm my fingers in the exhaust of my van. I sight read a key one time, and it didn't work. Keys laying on the seat. I cut it again, up a depth. Still didn't work. Finally it hit me there were two sets of keys, and I was making a key to the family's other car. D'uh.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, the roll up foam ear plugs are worth their weight in gold. Can get them also at shooting supply places (Sorry, Steve, I know..... no guns in AU any more.) Make that tool equipment places.

I have worn hearing aids since my youth. Now if I'm mowing the lawn, or working in a place like that, I have to turn off my hearing aids. My audiologists tell me to avoid loud noises, will further damage my hearing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

which ahs been

which always has

Figure who gets

around in car

had to rewarm my

time, and it didn't

Still didn't

I was making a key

now. Now, when a

(and that's only

etc.) If I

safe and it was

hell, I went to rekey a house one day and it was gone. just the steps remained. it was there the day before.. (no it didn't burn down)

true story

Reply to
Key

Still a couple of gun shops here in Cairns, just not as busy as they use to be. About the ear plugs, I sure could use a heavy duty set right here at home. The wife is always giving me an ear full. Cheers all.

Reply to
Steve Paris

in gold. Can get

know..... no guns in AU

mowing the lawn, or

hearing aids. My

damage my hearing.

busy as they use

right here at home.

Steve, sounds like ya may need ear muffs and not an aid to hear better.

just kiddin buddy :-) g'day

Reply to
Key

No. (Well not if I can help it.) I spread my tools (except for scopes) all over the place to create a nice "working perimeter", and tell management to keep everybody out of the area that doesn't have to be there.

If it's greasy, I put a rug or two down.

Nope. And wouldn't. If it's unsafe, I ain't goin' in for all the money in the world.

That just happened to a good friend of mine out in CA a few months ago.

Never said it was, but I'll take it over cars and day.

If you like doing cars, God bless ya. I used to love it. Now it's more of a pain in the butt for me. I wish I had enough safe work that I could give up cars and residential, all together.

Oh well. maybe someday.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Hm. Poor man's equivalent of hazard-tape barriers... <grin/>

Good addition to the recommended-tools list!

That's a job for firemen or someone of that sort. If they need a locksmith to go in, someone who has a clue has to certify it safe first.

(Having said that: I'm a firm believer in calculated risks. If I *can* reliably evaluate the risk and folks are willing to pay me enough to justify it, fine. That might mean paying me enough to subcontract someone else to do whatever inspection and/or demolition is required to make it adequately safe...)

Ouch. Talk about "heavy metal" being hazardous to your health... This may be another place where the right thing to do is to farm out part or all of the task to someone who specializes in relocating big lumps of metal. Has anyone come up with a recommended set of safety-rigging standards, or at least a checklist of known-hazardous situations?

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

He does. Unfortunately the guy driving the forklift was new to it. Before the my friend knew what was happening it was too late...

Safe not balanced right, sharp right turn, pot hole.

He was at the Clearstar party at my house last Friday. He has his first (temporary) prostheses, and is walking with one of those walkers with wheels, brakes, and a seat. Says he can deal with the phantom pain, but the phantom itches are driving him nuts.

You know, in general, this really isn't that dangerous of an occupation, but when things do go south, they go there real quick and usually with little or no warning. Anybody who's been in the business for a while, has a couple of close-call stories. Especially you you're in a bigger city.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

The moral of this story is to always assume that gravity will prevail and make sure you and others are not within reach of the object it will prevail upon in the direction that object will travel.

I hope your friend is as well as can be expected considering the circumstances.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Hind-sight is always 20/20.

I guess if you do something -anything- long enough, you can become complacent

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

friend is an instutional smith at a local college that has some branch campuses.. he got a call one time, before he worked there, could he go to (4 hour drive away) the SE campus and help with a 4 by 6 foot safe problem.. seems the guys were moving it, from office to office and it got away from them, went down a flight of stairs and was hanging through the outside wall of the building (brick) and they needed to get it back in..... --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I guess if it was preventable we wouldn't call it an accident, but... Ouch. There are some things which really should not be learned by experience, even by a stranger's experience. I'm not a praying man, but I'll send a few good thoughts outward anyway in case something is listening.

The only possible lesson I see here is that, no matter how balanced or strapped in you think the safe is, you shouldn't be standing within falling distance of it. But in some situations that may be easier said than done.

Oh yeah -- the other is that insurance is expensive, and is

*statistically* a bad bet (which is why insurance companies make money), but is still pretty essential.
Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

We tend to extend patterns and either conclude that "it's always worked in the past so it will work this time" or "it's always worked in the past so it's overdue to fail."

But every toss of the coin has the same odds of coming up tails.