Truck lettering

vinyl? hair dryer..softens it up so you can peel.. NO razor blades.. plus they make a 'wheel' that will remove certain decals,, ask at an auto paint supply store

paint? get help..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

My van is beeing replaced, the boss has told me to remove the lettering from the van. Does anyone have any ideas. Jim

Reply to
Jim Barrett

Heat gun and a lot of patience.

Reply to
MonkeyWithATypewriter.com

in article VSS2e.3991$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com, Jim Barrett at snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote on 3/31/05 7:24 AM:

Check with a local body shop. They have a special rubber wheel that attaches to a drill. You can get them at most parts houses. Pretty neat and fast. Then a little alcohol to remove whatever is left of the glue. Saw them do ours when we relettered, it took only about 20 minutes per side.

Good luck.

Reply to
M.C. Merritt

If they are vinyl: I had good luck with removing the vinyl letters that had been on my van for about 10 years with my wife's hair drier. Medium heat seemed to work the best. A plastic putty knife and some WD 40 got rid of the residue.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

I agree with the heat for vinyl and if you have painted lettering you use Easy-Off oven cleaner.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

A sign guy told me once that steel wool is used to remove painted letters, but you need to be really, really gentle with it.

Reply to
MonkeyWithATypewriter.com

If they are vinyl letters definitely go with the "eraser" material type wheel. I used to remove the letters from my last truck before I sold it. It turned out great. No scratches what so ever.

Start on an inconspicuous place until you get used to using it. I burned the paint in a couple of places by applying too much pressure with the edge of the wheel.

You may not be able to get them in a regular auto parts store but up can definitely get them in a body shop supply place. As I recall, they cost about $14. And one will be plenty.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

I was shocked when I saw they guy using easy off but the painted letters came off and the paint was OK.

Steel wool scares me.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

use heat....