Victorian Rim Locks

I have a handful of old Victorian Rim Locks taken off of an old house locally. Each needs some work inside - I'm hoping to do some of them this summer as a lark. Can anyone point me to a book about repairing these, or a supplier for parts?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Bathrick

Oops - Sorry. Outlook Express giving me problems. Should be fixed now.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Bathrick

I doubt that new parts are going to be available for Victorian rim locks. However a locksmith can rebuild almost any part and give them another 100 years of life.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Thanks, Roger, but the idea is that I would like to get my hands dirty and do this myself.

For example, in one of the locks there is a simple spring that is broken. If I can find a source for the broken spring, or find a book or website that will tell me how to fabricate a spring, I'll have a starting point. Yes, I am not a machinist, but am willing to learn if I need to.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Bathrick

the last OLD lock out of a house that I did, built in 1920, that had a broken part, cost me a C note at a machine shop and 2 hours of his time.. the thing was I COULD have done it by hand, in maybe a week, but my time was worth more..the machine did in 10 minutes what would have taken by hand 3-4 days..

you need a watchmakers book, and a machinists book.. good luck

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Springs are fabricated from either flat spring steel or music wire. Some springs are simple compression or expansion springs that can be obtained from a hardware store.

Worn brass parts can be rebuilt by soldering in a chunk of brass and filing it to the original shape.

Have fun but remember the lock has to work smoothly having a bind will cause a failure that could be difficult to repair like a broken case.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Thank you, Roger - I appreciate your help!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Bathrick

Thanks for the advice, Shiva. Yes, I know I will be putting more time into the lock than it is worth. This is a simple learning experience. I plan on doing it in my spare time over the summer - what little of it I will have. Just something to do that will teach me something.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Bathrick