Writer Needs A Nickname For A Car Thief

Hello,

This is probably a strange question for this group, but here goes:

I'm writing a crime novel about car thieves. In the first draft, I gave my main character the nickname "Slapper." According to my research, this is a slang term for a tool used to remove ignition cylinders and it seemed like an appropriate nickname for a car thief.

Anyway, my agent (based in the UK) tells me that I need to find a new nickname because "Slapper" is also a slang term (British?) for "loose woman."

I was hoping that someone familiar with getting into cars could give me suggestions for other nicknames I could use for a car thief (besides "Scum Bag"). These could be slang terms or brand names for tools--anything like that. For instance, I was thinking about using "Grabber" (after code grabbers).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
gary

Perhaps you should stick with Slapper, and also take advantage of the play on meanings somewhere in the book while trading tips with another <British> thief on stealing Euro cars?

Reply to
BogusID

Gosh now that you bring this topic up it seems that our lexicon for criminal nick names has lost the color it had of yesteryear when we had terms like "swift" and "Yegg".

Perhaps the term "Slammer" could substitute for "Slapper", and avoid the confusion with your UK readers.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

UK "Boot Slammer"

Boot=Trunk

Reply to
goma865

A "grabber" is police slang for men who accost other men in public restrooms.

How about using the tool's name instead of the slang. It's a back- hammer.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

then call him "slide hammer" ...

Reply to
Key

Or keep slapper and make the character a woman. No shortage of both genders stealing autos.

Reply to
Steve W.