Composite Materials for Instrument Cases, Attache Cases, Laptop Cases

Dear Group,

I am a violinist very interested in potential use of composite materials as the exoskeleton of the case. I have been reading some of the groups, and am a bit confused about carbon fiber versus kevlar versus fiberglass.

Ideally the shell of the case would have the highest strength-to-weight ratio possible, but also be waterproof and resistant to the elements, specifically temperature changes. There are currently cases being designed and manufactured in aluminum and carbon fiber, but I am unaware of any potential benefits of something like kevlar.

Also, on a few manufacturer's websites, there seem to be endless types of carbon fiber and resin compounds - how do you find the right one. Any book references or just plain help would be great. Also, if you could email me, I don't check these lists often - snipped-for-privacy@wharton.upenn.edu.

Thanks a million - Brendan

Reply to
Brendan Callahan

Do you want to make a composite case?

You would do well to look at some books on home built composite aircraft... as these are among the few books I know of for the hobby builder. And, many of them are somewhat old.

If you just want to have a composite violin case... and you don't have the time to read this materials newsgroup.... perhaps buying is the option you need.

Yes, carbon/graphite fiber comes in many strengths and stiffnesses and price ranges.... because not every application requires the ultimate in stiffness or the ultimate in strength or the ultimate in cheapness.

And there are good reasons why the material can be made with such a variety of properties, but it is not something that experts like to take the time to explain to someone with little training, little interest and little time.

I think buying is a really good thing for a busy musician.

Jim Buch

Reply to
jbuch