question on polyurethane foams

Hi everyone,

I am new in this field. I was wondering if anyone can give me an example of the detailed composition of the foam? e.g. what is used as blowing agent and catalyst? Thank you. any tips or suggestions will be appreciated.

nuaa

Reply to
nuaa215

Polyisocyanates react with water to release CO2 which functions as blowing agent. Amine formed reacts with other isocyanate to form a urea link in polymer. I'm sure a Google search will give you details and chemical structures. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Polyisocyanates react with water to release CO2 which functions as blowing agent. Amine formed reacts with other isocyanate to form a urea link in polymer. I'm sure a Google search will give you details and chemical structures. Frank

-In addition, some compounders will add "blowing agents" such as a hydrocarbon like pentane. When the mixed product exotherms, it turns the blowing agent to a gas and this augments the water blowing earlier described.-Jitney

Reply to
jitney

A simple Google search using: isocyante blowing agent chemistry gave this as first hit:

you want a detailed chemical picture you should emphasise chemistry. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo