Give Automakers $25 Billion Worth of E Vouchers

The vouchers could only be used to buy electric motors, generators, batteries and other materials that could only be used in EVs or hybrid
drive trains.
Bret Cahill
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 15:25:06 -0800, Bret Cahill wrote:

You are a mean man.

I thought of it over a week ago. I figured someone else would have suggested it by now.
Bret Cahill
Bret Cahill wrote:

But few people are as stupid as you.
Graham
Bret Cahill wrote:

What a truly STUPID idea.
How about getting them to fit I4s in place of V8s first ?
Graham

If you just gave them the money they'ld blow it on large block engines and from the automaker's POV, it's better than no money whatsoever.

OK, the vouchers could also be used for materials and labor to build internal combustion engine with less than 20 brake hp.
Merely reducing displacement won't work as they'll just jack up the rpm and compression ratio.
Bret Cahill

That may be so, but what are you going to say, when Congress gives them the money?

Don't think that would help. They would just make the cilinders larger, or place 2 I4s in each vehicle.
They got stuck in the 'large vehicles' section as their 'competitive advantage' in the US market. And that advantage is obliterated now.
GM is dead. Any money spend on them is sucked into a black hole. Let Opel spin out before it is too late.
Rob
How does that help them to survive?

They'll have something someone wants to buy.
Bret Cahill