How To Nutrilze Formaldehyde

I bought some new book cases that are off gassing formaldehyde and probably some othter aldehydes. Working in the room triggered the first asthma attack
I have had in 4 or 5 years.
As a temporary measure until the furniture company can come back and get them I have wrapped them in plastic. But it will be two weeks until they are back in town due to Thanksgiving.
Is there anything to do to soak up or normalize the out gassing aldehydes some degree. I put some slices of bread in side the plastic warp to give i some organic matter to bind to but I need something better than bread and I soaked some paper towels in saturated solution bicarbonate of soda and dried them and put them in side the plastic. Those were the best I could come up with at the time. I know I need more moisture in the bicarbonate soaked paper.
If they still bother me tomorrow they go in the garage or in the yard.
The supposedly all wood book cases were far stronger smelling of formaldehyde that any partial board I have ever been around.
TIA Gordon
Gordon Couger Stillwater, OK www.couger.com/gcouger
If they are new, they need to be out gassed. Get them warm, perhaps very warm with exhaust ventilation. Adhesives will cure, aldehydes will volitilize at a higher rate.
This may take a while, but let your nose [lungs] sniff and see if the level is going down. Perhaps 100F for days/weeks. Gordon
Depending on what mateial they are made off, you might be able to go higher.
After out gassing extensively, you can seal any exposed particle board with some plastic adhesive paper, pr paint etc.
If it is so bad, sell it, and buy some inert furnature. perhaps they are defecive in manufacture or material. -J entr0pyf0e
I could build an oven in the gangue and cook them at 100 f using radiate heat. I should have got it in the summer and just left it in the sun a day. A good sunny day here will get a brown surface 130 f.
What hacks me off is them claiming that their "all wood" products don't out gas formaldehyde. I bought a cheap partial board book case that was clean as could be and the "all wood" one turns ammonium chloride into this http://www.couger.com/bed1/slides/whiteStuff.html . I am not sure what it is but it is sure not aluminum collide any more.- All the glue that holds the ply wood dog-eared is crossed linked with formaldehyde or makes formaldehyde in the process.
The mattress for the trundle bed they sold me clears the bed rail 13/16 of an inch laying flat on the floor un made without the trundle attachment as well.
They don't have a happy customer.
Gordon

warm
at a