What's the trick to a seamless 3 piece 1/350 aircraft carrier deck ??

got the Trumpeter 1/350 Sara today. deck is in three pieces. the instructions show to place the deck in sections on the already completed hull. this sounds like a great recipe for nasty seams, and I doubt Sara had big seams across the deck.

How do y'all hide the seams and retain the wood detail, etc.. ???????????????

Craig

Reply to
crw59

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote: : got the Trumpeter 1/350 Sara today. deck is in three pieces. : Well, you could spring for the wooden flight deck option from Nautilus Models.

If you do not want to go that route, I think the best way is the glue the flight deck sections together, then put them on the hull. Reinforce the deck sections from underneath, as you do not want them to open while positioning the deck.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

The Tamiya Enterprise is also like that. When I was building it it the early '80s I had a film negative light box, basically a low wattage lightbulb with a translucent plastic that the negatives would stand on to view them. I got clever & put a sheet of safety glass over the box/bulb part to see any gaps in the seams. While working on this, the wife called me over to where she was working. I forgot about the deck until I started smelling something burning. I ran back to my light box & the two deck sections had melted beyond repair. Luckily, Tamiya sold me some new sections.

What I ended up doing was filling & sanding the joints. After painting the deck & the tiedown spots, it looked fine.

HTH

Reply to
the Legend of LAX

Don't know if this would help or not. But ... you can thin Squadron green putty with liquid glue. Glue the deck together. Wait till the glue is cured. Put some tape on either end of the seam. Thin some green putty and place it in the seam. Take a cloth and wipe the excess putty away. Then pull away the tape. The idea is to get the green putty only into the seam with as little sanding required afterward.

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack

Couldn't one just glue all three deck sections together to make sure everything was lined up right, and then glue the whole completed deck onto the ship as one piece?

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

CCBlack wrote: : : Don't know if this would help or not. But ... you can thin Squadron : green putty with liquid glue. : As long as the deck is well glued together, I would be more inclined to use white glue as the filler. It can be wiped down with a damp rag/cloth/q-tip etc, so you do not risk any of the surfact detail. Of course, you need to get the deck sections very close before gluing them together, else you risk a blank section in your deck. Oops.

And, for that matter, I hate squadron fillers. I find them coarse and sink prone long after they have been applied. Granted, they sand well, but that is hardly and exclusive trait. I prefer a two-part filler if it is a big/deep fill, else pretty much name your (non-squadron) filler. :-)

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Gosh, I'm going back some 25 years, but I seem to recall that the deck MAY have screwed down to the hull. I could be all wrong on this, in which case I probably did what you suggested. I don't have my kit plans for that one any more & suffer greatly from CRS.

Reply to
the Legend of LAX