Did the Mitsubishi Raiden Use a Merlin Engine ??

Is Merlin a generic name for a type of engine ? Did the British sell engines to Japan? A typo in the auction description?

Craig

crw59

" snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

More likely being sold by someone who wouldn't know a RR Merlin from a Mazda 12A. First, the RR Merlin is an inline V12 engine. Second, the Raiden used a 14 cyl RADIAL engine, the Mitsubishi Kesei series.(He did get the radial bit right). Third, by the time the Raiden hit the air, the Brits and Japs had been at war for around 12 months (Raiden delivered in Dec 42), so it's highly unlikely that there was any sort of sales deal...

Unless Revell got it VERY wrong on the box (not unknown), I'd say he just heard some interesting-sounding words on History Channel (or maybe he watched 'Pearl Harbour', the poor deluded prune) and thought they'd sound cool on his 'toy' auction. But I could be wrong. It does happen.

RobG (The Aussie one) who shouldn't be online - he's grumpy.

Reply to
RobG

innews: snipped-for-privacy@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I very much enjoy your grumpiness. always brightens my day...

Craig

Reply to
crw59

No, Merlin is NOT a generic name. It was the name for one specific engine design. Others were Kestrel, Sabre, etc. Britain was one of few countries to name their engine. US engines were designated by type and displacement, like V-1710 and R-1820. The Packard Merlin is only called that since the Brits called it that first.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

"Kasei" translates as "Mars" so I suppose you could say it was a "Martian" engine? :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim