Lamp - add magnetic switch

I'm working on a little project. I would like to add a switch to a regular lamp. I took a look at Radioshack and they have so many
switches! This is the first time doing a project involving electronics, so bare with me.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5FidI-532
They have this magnetic switch used for alarm systems. Can I just cut one of the lamp wires open and attach this switch in there?
I'm also considering some push button switches. Like this:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid '5-1548
Is there something I need to know about the switches before purchasing? ...Are there voltage limits. Some are so small- can they handle the voltage that goes through a lamp?
If you know of any good websites with how-tos for projects like these, please let me know. THANKS!
On 27 Mar 2005 18:13:02 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Will do if you bear with us. Oversimplification can lead to magic smoke escaping. Please post specifications for a "regular lamp" that you intend to use.
--

Boris Mohar

Sorry -
What I mean by a regular lamp is :
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId 101&storeId&productId758&langId=-1&parentCats111*10280
I took out the bulb holder + wire from this lamp. I realize there's not a lot of info about its guts. I will be using a 60W bulb at max. The holder will be put into a fiberglass shape I'm working on. (with ventilation). That's all the info I have.
On 28 Mar 2005 21:46:57 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

RS does not publish any info on the current carrying capacity of that switch. Alarm switches are not likely to reliably switch high inrush current that cold filament of a light bulb draw. It might work for a while but I would not consider it reliable. You might be better off getting a reed switch from Digikey. Go to www.digikey.com and search for reed wit current carrying capacity greater than one Ampere and voltage rating greater than 100V
--

Boris Mohar