Lamp - add magnetic switch

I'm working on a little project. I would like to add a switch to a regular lamp. I took a look at Radioshack and they have so many switches! This is the first time doing a project involving electronics, so bare with me.

They have this magnetic switch used for alarm systems. Can I just cut one of the lamp wires open and attach this switch in there?

I'm also considering some push button switches. Like this:

Is there something I need to know about the switches before purchasing? ...Are there voltage limits. Some are so small- can they handle the voltage that goes through a lamp?

If you know of any good websites with how-tos for projects like these, please let me know. THANKS!

Reply to
radiohd8

Will do if you bear with us. Oversimplification can lead to magic smoke escaping. Please post specifications for a "regular lamp" that you intend to use.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Sorry -

What I mean by a regular lamp is :

*10280 I took out the bulb holder + wire from this lamp. I realize there's not a lot of info about its guts. I will be using a 60W bulb at max. The holder will be put into a fiberglass shape I'm working on. (with ventilation). That's all the info I have.

Reply to
radiohd8

RS does not publish any info on the current carrying capacity of that switch. Alarm switches are not likely to reliably switch high inrush current that cold filament of a light bulb draw. It might work for a while but I would not consider it reliable. You might be better off getting a reed switch from Digikey. Go to

and search for reed wit current carrying capacity greater than one Ampere and voltage rating greater than 100V

Reply to
Boris Mohar