Memory Metal

Hi,
I have a business idea and am looking to build a prototype...but the idea requires memory metal. Does anyone know where I can purchase a
small quantity of this material? I only need about 9 feet of the wire form...no larger than 5mm in diameter.
Thanks!
On 28 Jun 2004 13:52:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gina LaPlante) wrote:

http://www.mcmaster.com
Look for Nitinol but the largest size they have is 26ga
Regards,
Boris Mohar
Got Knock? - see: Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs http://www3.sympatico.ca/borism /
Gina LaPlante wrote:

eBay has sellers who sell small lengths of nitinol. The silver-core feature is for making the wire more visible on x-ray, if your application requires that (mostly medical applications).
5 mm is a lot. I would not call it a wire. I would call it rod stock. If you can redesign in a smaller diameter, I think you would be more likely to find a suitable material.
Note that nitinol work hardens badly. Smaller and thinner is better. Reinforcement is better. If you want many cycles, you will minimize stress risers during the phase transition. You will make the nitinol member more like a diaphragm, a coiled thermostat strip, a snap disc or snap blade, or a Taylor blade, depending on the amount of travel and force you need. (Or maybe a Rolamite bearing. Yeah, right.)