modelling of porous mortars mechanical properties

I am studying historical mortars and looking for a good model that describes its mechanical properties as a function of its porosity. Does Halpin-Tsai equation manage to describe it?

Any suggestion?

Reply to
Granbarbiere

This is the second time you've asked.

What have you found from your previous query? I'd really like to know.

When you refer to "mechanical properties" which properties do you mean? Low stress modulii will be much less sensitive to microscopic details than will strengths.

As far as modulii are concerned, the Hashin bounds have a theoretical justification and usually work pretty well in practice.

The Halpin-Tsai equations work pretty well for fiber composite modulii but are empirical so you've got to have measured data to use them.

How do real data for mortars compare with these models?

Earlier I tried to point out that the effects of porosity or spherical inclusions in complex system like mortars may depend on relative sizes of the inclusions even for modulii.

In the case of very large bubbles the cement + aggregate will act as a continuous matrix phase while the bubbles act as inclusions.

In the case of very small bubbles, the cement + bubbles will act as a continuous matrix phase while the aggregate particles act as inclusions.

I'm not sure this makes any difference in the Hashin approach; Again, what do the data show?

Contact me directly if you like.

Reply to
dave martin