ph resistance range for sulfuric anodized aluminum

Hi. In the current project I'm dealing with a system where RO water with ph 5.5 prevails and the temperature is 80C. I would like to know what is the ph range of aluminum with the eddition of sulfuric anodize coating.

Thanks

Reply to
altbergz

What you have asked is less than a complete question. In order to talk about corrosion you must fully specify both the material (substrate and coatings) and the service environment. Is the material pure aluminum, or is it an alloy? If it is an alloy, what alloy? What else is in the service environment other than water? Chlorides, sulfates, etc?

I suspect that what you are asking is for the pH range over which aluminum will be passive. The best online textbook on aluminum alloys (and including their corrosion behavior) is Talat

section 5102.04 for the Pourbaix diagram showing that at room temperature a passive film could be stable over a pH range from 4.0 to

8.5. However, you are not at room temperature.

Some nuclear reactor fuel was aluminum clad. An IAEA publication discusses corrosion of spent fuel.

at chapter 2.

Pittsburgh Pete

DISCLAIMER

We do not believe what we write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for topical (external) use only. This information may not be worth any more than either a groundhog turd, or what you paid for it (nothing). The author may not even have been either sane or sober when he wrote it down. Do not worry, be happy. DISCLAIMER

Reply to
metalengr