Re: Need help on oxygen parameter of magnetite and gama-Fe2O3

Hi, all

> I wondered that is there any result for the change in oxygen > parameter during transtion of magnetite to gama-Fe2O3? How the XRD > relative peak intensity change during this transition? I am > interesting in the change of relative peak intersity between 200 and > 311 peak. > Is there a software that I can calculate the XRD relative peak > intensity with different oxygen parameter? > If anyone could give me a advice, it will be highly appreciated. > Have a nice day!

Try a program called "powedercell". It is free and will simulate the diffraction peaks if you have the structure.

Alternately, you could check if your library or some other group has the JCPDF database, it will be there as well.

Gamma has a supercell of ordered vacancies (if I recall correctly). The thing to watch for is if the superlattice peaks show up, as these are not allowed for cubic Magnetite.

Another trick is getting Magnetitite to convert to gamma Fe2O3 rather than changing to alpha. If you are using a simple heat with oxygen, you will likely get some or all alpha. Try bubbling the O2 through water to force the gamma phase.

Nils

Reply to
Nils Dalen