Uses of Bulk Nano Materials (was beanstalks)

snipped-for-privacy@cars3.uchicago.edu :

most

Nor in the case where present day existing carbon fiber structures are hit by lighting I have never heard of the structures turning to plasma or in most cases even catching fire. The fact is it takes a lot of energy to convert solid carbon in any of it's forms to a conducting plasma.
To make matters worse for this claim of carbon structures conducting electric current, in a good composite material there is minium contact of the fibers to each other as the goal is to imbed each fiber as completely in the matrix material possible to max transfer of tension between fibers. Fiber to Fiber contact does not transfer tension. Because of this only a small percentage fibers form a conducting path there is a lot of resistance to conducting a current,
Now a question to something I really know nothing about, there have been references to bucky tubes being ballistic conductors and these have only one value resistance regardless thier length. However in the case of beanstalks no-one plans to build bucky tubes the full length of the stalk infact it likely that tubes a few meters in lenght will the maxium length ever needed or used. So if separate ballistic conductors conduct in series does the resistance add up or does it stay the same as a single conducting fiber.
Earl Colby Pottinger
--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
Earl Colby Pottinger wrote:
Good God Man!!
Don't you ever get enough of this crud?

Good God man!! If you think it is crud why are you wasting your time posting?
Earl Colby Pottinger