What material for store display shelf?

Hello, I have stumbled into a job that calls for the designing a simple cosmetics display that will hold carded product. My client wishes to have my design injection molded in China to save on cost; so they need me to specify a material. This is not my strong suite, I need to learn more about this subject.

The parts are going to be clear with a small load wall thickness generally 3mm (or 1/10 inch). I'd like them to have reasonable flexure quality and have some reasonable impact absorbsion quality; what material should I recommend?

What material should I recommend if my client changes his mind and wants white parts instead?

If they ask how I came to these conclusions, what are the reasons behind the above recommendations?

with many thanks and gratefulness to any who answer,

David

Reply to
Scorsi

I would not expect the carded products to be that heavy so simple acrylic plastic should do the trick. Otherwise you are looking at PMMA, polycarbonates, etc... which are not cost effective for your application nor readily available in custom sizes. You can alway up the thickness a bit for added rigidity, and with a polished edge you wont know the difference. Injection molding is usually used for the pegs and accesories not the panels themselves. Typically the panels are either mechanically drilled or laser drilled to yield clean polished holes. Below is a site I quickly found for clear acrylic pegboard which should point you in the right direction. Good luck

Ceraboy

While acrylic is a good functional choice, crystal styrene would be cheaper. This is the material typically used for CD cases.

RT

Reply to
RThomp7367

Styrene is far too brittle in terms of long term durability, particularly in the thickness requested. Furthurmore, the resistance to chemical attach from cleaning solutions/solvents is very poor.

Reply to
Ceraboy