Latest threads in ⚗ Material Sciences show only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

paintball pellets and inflatable articles from flexible (pvc-p) membrane
Ok, this may seem like a proposterous idea, but our client insist, and I was told to come up with an educated response: Here's the deal - out of our flexible membranes he intend to make some...
2
2

Reactivity of Aluminium
Dear All, I was wondering if anyone here can describe the difference between the reactivity of Aluminium and Iron when placed in dilute hydrochloric acid. I understand that Al is higher on the...

Home furnace thermocouple
Can someone please tell me what type thermocouple is used on standard home furnace control valves? They are referred to as "30 MV Standard Thermocouple" and are used on home furnaces, water heaters,...
2
2

ductile iron
hello, I have to design a industrial oven for heating dustile iron wheels. The wheels have to stay in the oven for at least 2 hours. To calculate the dimensions of the oven, I have to know how long...
1
1

Where do i buy piezoelectric fiber
hi I am working on piezoelectric fiber composites for health monitoring applications. Can anyone please provide the contct details/ Email Id of companies/labs commercially manufactureing piezoelectric...
1
1

Metallographic Specimen Storage cabinets for sale - UK
Hi, I have for sale some metallographic specimen storage cabinets. These are those supplied by Buehler - Metaserve. The cabinets contain 10 drawers each with insert trays capable of taking 50 off 1.25...

Making glass
Hello, I know that the major component of most types of glass is silicon dioxide. I've heard that sand is essentially silicon dioxide. How true is that? In general would it be possible to melt regular...
6
6

HELP WITH Laser Welder
I have a Raytheon Precision Laser Welder. It is missing its "head". I was wondering if it is worth selling as a complete unit, or break it down and sell it seperately? Please help me!!

Tungsten: highest melting point related to asbestos cleavage planes??
Wondering if there is some connection with cleavage planes and heat resistance. As per asbestos is highly heat resistant and has cleavage planes. Whether those cleavages is responsible for the heat...
5
5

Re: general question: what's concrete?
A civil engineering prof of TU Aachen Germany wrote "Baustoffe für tragende Bauteile", 4 books, cornerstone of civil engineering in Germany. As far as i know it has been translated into English as...
1
1

cement?
Clearly, I was asking the wrong question when I queried what concrete is, because from your descriptions, it's just cement with some rocks (sand/gravel) thrown in for good measure. I guess the real...
3
3

theoretically the strongest concrete
From one book on masonry I get a mix for concrete as such: 1.6 cement :: 3.2 sand :: 6 gravel From another masonry book I get this for concrete mix: 5 cement :: 12.5 sand :: 20 aggregate or gravel For...
43
43

Most heat resistant light density material-- asbestos???
I believe tungsten has the highest melting temperature at 3410C. But is there a compound that has a higher melting point rather than a solo element? What is the melting point of asbestos? Is asbestos...
13
13

Stored Tire Wearout
The recent issue of Road and Track magazine reiterates that tires that are more than 5 years old should be replaced. They say that the rubber dries out, even if stored in a plastic wrap, and that the...
2
2

When laying block, better than string for straightness
I am building my own concrete block garage. And when it came time to lay the first course I did not like the string method for it depends too much on eye judgement. So what I did was haul out two very...
8
8