evaluating a lathe design

Suppose I have a design for a lathe, submitted by someone else. It consists of drawings, description of materials and instructions for making the lathe. Suppose I want to study the design critically from an engineering standpoint. I think that means I want to know things like the following: (1) Will the lathe fall apart from vibrations during normal operation? (2) Will some of the parts get bent out of shape or get torn out during normal operation? (3) What kind of wear can be expected from normal operation and what are its implications for maintaining the lathe? (4) What are the limits of accuracy for machining with this lathe? (5) Redefining "normal operation" to mean the kind of usage this particular lathe can support, determine the limits of normal operation.

I'd like to know what book I ought to read in order to be able to carry out such a critical study. If I'm wrong in my guess about what constitutes a critical evaluation of a design, I'll be glad to have it pointed out to me, along with suitable references for what to read.

Ignorantly, Allan Adler snipped-for-privacy@zurich.ai.mit.edu

  • *
  • Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
  • Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
  • in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
  • metropolitan area. *
  • *
Allan Adler