Heatshrink film for packaging

Hello, can you please tell me where to research about heatshrink film for packaging. I understand there are Polyolefin and PVC type heatshrink film for package wrapping. Can you tell me where to find more info about the way heatshrink works? What are the manufacturer of these film and bags? What kind of packaging equipment should I use? There are many thickness, such as 100 gauge, is it 0.1 inch, and what is the choice?

Is there any online reference technical research I can learn more about this? Thank you.

Reply to
J. Y.

I'm not sure about the thin films used for packaging, but the heat-shrink tubing used for covering electrical connectors is made by exposing conventional tubing to a high level of radiation from an electron beam tube to crosslink the polymer chains, then the tubing is mechanically stretched to a larger diameter. When heat is applied, the polymer chains become more free to move relative to each other, and the tubing returns (almost) to the diameter locked in at the time of radiation exposure.

Reply to
Mark Thorson

Mark, I think the heatshrink film is different stuff?

Those electrical heat-shr>

Reply to
J. Y.

Heat-shrink films are common food packaging materials. Call companies like DuPont, AbbeonCal, Popper and Sons, etc.

If you need more names, please let me know.

Niles

Reply to
N. Ron

Any oriented film will shrink when heated. When the film was made, the polymer chains were taken from a random coil state, elongated and then cooled (crystallized) before they could return to the random coil. Upon heating, the mobility of the chains is restored and they then attempt to return to their original, smaller, random coil. On a macroscopic scale, this is seen as shrinkage.

For films, 1 mil = 0.001 inch = 100 gauge.

Most film making knowledge and equipment is proprietary and is not available on the web. Libraries are only a little bit better.

John

Reply to
John Spevacek

And 3M.