Help with FEA problem

Hi group,

I am new to FEA and trying to get a better knowledge of the process.

I am trying to run an analysis of a part (assembly) that has two linear shafts and one brace at the top where the fixed constrant is and a brace at the bottom where a hyd. cyl. will be applying 4000 lbs. of pressure downward.

I am using Algor and have the assembly modeled.

My question is, do I need to constran the two shafts in the X and Y axis but not in the Z as the two shafts will be moving up and down inside linear bearings?

I put a fixed constrant at the top brace where it is going to hit the part I am trying to clamp and where the bottom brace will be mounted to the hyd. cyl. I have put a neg. Z of 4000 lbs.

Does this sound correct, or should I just constran the top brace and apply the load to the bottom brace and leave the two shafts without any constrants?

Thanks in Advance!

Reply to
CDC