jerk, ping, and so forth?

In Kinematics class we were learning about cam design, and about how you want to minimize the 'jerk' and 'ping' of the follower on the cam. I understand jerk. That is what I feel when I'm in a car which suddenly accelerates. I feel jerked back.

I don't know what ping is, other than the derivative of the jerk. How would I feel ping?

Also, does the derivative of ping have a name?

Reply to
Stacy Haponik

Dear Stacy Haponik:

The derivative of jerk has no standard name. Specifications have been written to limit jerk for passenger vehicles. No limits exist for higher derivatives.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

"N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)" wrote in news:NAaIf.32656$jR.23113@fed1read01:

I'll go a little further than David.

When you model a mechanical system you pretty much lose interest at acceleration, for passive systems.However, if you try and model feed- forward, or feedback systems, you usually include both integrals and differentials of the signal of interest.

The human proprioception demands such a feed forward device - you want to hold your head in the same place, so you want to exert a force so your feed forward system cares about jerk.

If a second order feedforward controller was justified, you'd worry about d jerk/dt, but in practice that does not seem necessary.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Reply to
Greg Locock