Vertical deflection of load cell in cheap electronic weighing scales

For a low-weight (say 250g) application in a cheap electronic weighing scales using a strain gauge load cell, what is the typical maximum vertical deflection of the weighing pan? I realise that this is a piece of string question, but I'd like to get a feel for what order of vertical deflection might be expected: 1mm, 0.1mm, 0.01mm, 0.001mm???

Russ

Reply to
100566.3716

snipped-for-privacy@compuserve.com said the following on 2/13/2006 12:25:

My expensive load cells will deflect maybe 0.002-0.006 inch at rated load. I imagine a cheapy load cell would have a higher deflection.

Lance

*****
Reply to
Lance

When my cheap old scales crapped out I pulled them apart (as you do). Rather than load cell based they seemed to be based on measuring capacitance change. Plates about 30mm x 30mm. Folded sheet metal frame, some insulating plastic and spring steel leaves for motion/force movement. Circuit had what looked like IF coils and a oem IC. I guess as plates moved the oscillator freq changed and this was converted into equivalent scale weight. From memory the maximum movement was about 1mm. Plates were set back a little - movement at plates may have been 1/2mm or so.

It was very cheaply made, but lasted quite a few years.

Reply to
Rob