Need Journal Names

What would be good letters journals to try to publish some mathematical results of gyroscope dynamics? What regular journals? What would be a sensible maximum for the number of pages in a letter and the minimum for a regular journal? TIA

Reply to
Jay Stallworth

There are 1-page papers published in regular journals. They're always a delight.

(There really aren't letters journals in math in the same sense that there are in other disciplines -- arguably that's what the Internet's for!)

dave

Reply to
Dave Rusin

It used to be that Scientific American was good for such as that, but their format has changed drastically to "popularize" science. If you can make your paper "sexy" enough to catch the interest of the current laymen readership you might have a chance of publishing there. That might be good from some standpoints, and maybe not so good in others. If what you want is academic recognition then there are certainly better forums, but if you're after investment money then SA is a good bet.

'Sporky'

Reply to
Sporkman

It occurs to me that if you don't already know, then you haven't been following gyroscope research and wouldn't really know if you have something new to contribute.

"Nature" and "Science" are catch-all journals that could publish darn near anything, but their standards are high.

A search on scholar.google.com for

gyroscope theory

suggests a few.

IEEE Transaction on Aerospace and Electronic Systems IEEE Transations on Automatic Control International Applied Mechanics American Journal of Physics Zeitschrift fuer Flugwissenshaften und Weltraumforschung Ukrainian Mathematical Journal Russian Physics Journal

Reply to
Gregory L. Hansen

You would do well to heed the words of the last poster. Along those lines, I'll add the following thoughts...

You probably woud not get the article in Science or Nature (for a multitude of reasons). Sending your results to a journal (esp one that publishes letters/rapid communications) is one way to find out fast if you are on the right track, but before doing that you should (at a MINIMUM) do a lit search using SCI (or some other decent lit search engine, of which there are several in physics and engineering). If you can present your ideas at a conference or even local univ lecture to people who are (at least) somewhat knowledgable in the area you might get very valuable feedback that will save you a lot of time and not make you look unprofessional. If you have a long-term interest in this area, you might want to try to start up a collaboration with someone who is trained in this area. They can help you navigate the editorial waters, write the paper in such a way that it won't sound wierd to the community you intend to reach, and be a new path for continued work/support in this field.

Good luck,

Juno

Reply to
junoexpress

If the work is legitimate, American Journal of Physics is the place for such things. New twists on known problems (e.g., different ways to teach things) are often a desired theme.

Read and take to heart *** ALL *** of their author information before you even considering submitting anything. Same for any other journal.

Reply to
Bruce Scott TOK

It the gyro application can be applied to the pointing of a battlefield or space telescope, Optics Letters is the way to go. Gneraly these are

1 to 1 1/2 pgs in print.
Reply to
LuckyOne

snipped-for-privacy@steel.ucs.indiana.edu (Gregory L. Hansen) wrote in news:dsoprt$888 $ snipped-for-privacy@rainier.uits.indiana.edu:

My research is to try to find a mathematical solution of the spinning top, in closed form. You're right that I haven't been following gyroscope research, but I do know the most important thing - the solution to that problem has never been found.

I am hoping for academic recognition, indeed I want my PhD, not business investments.

Reply to
Jay Stallworth