Von Karman Vortex Shedding

I am looking for data on von Karman vortex shedding high Reynolds numbers, greater than 10^6. Thanks

Dick Dean

Reply to
Dick Dean

I am looking for data on von Karman vortex shedding high Reynolds numbers, greater than 10^6. Thanks

Dick Dean

See Blevins, Robert D., "Flow induced vibration," second edition, 1994 reprint, Krieger, Malabar, FL.

I assume that you are interested in circular cylinders. (If not, this book also has some information on other shapes.) This book has a graph of Strouhal number versus Reynolds number for the circular cylinder that goes up to Re of 10^7. on page 45.

Over the Re range from 10^5 to 3x10^6 there are two curves, labeled "smooth surface" and "rough surface".

The references for this figure are: Lienhard (1966), Wash. State Univ., Col. of Eng., Res. Bull. 300. Achenbach and Heinecke (1981), J. Fluid Mech., 109,

239-251. Roshko (1955), NACA TM 3159, also J. Aero. Sci., 22, 124-135.

Hope this helps, Olin Perry Norton

Reply to
Olin Perry Norton

There is some French data for Reynolds numbers around 10,000,000 that indicate a Strouhal number of about 0.3

Chris Lussier

Reply to
HireTech