Pointer to some fairly standard mechanical problem?

Let me preface that I'm NOT a mechanical engineer - I'm just trying to
do a back-of-the-envelope design of a little gadget. The internal part
is pretty straightforward, but the whole thing needs to sit in a case
that can be submerged in water to a couple tens of meter.
Now I'm assuming that there's such a thing like a "collection of
formulas for standard geometries" (or such) where I could look up how
thick I need to make the walls of an oblong cylinder made of material
X if it is supposed to survive indefinitely external overpressures of
Y psi. What I don't know is where I'd start looking for this kind of
thing.
So if someone could give me the name of an author I should look for in
the library or the pointer to a web-page that has this kind of thing,
I'd be grateful.
Thanx
Reply to
Big Bird
Piping Handbook, Crocker and King, 5th ed., McGraw-Hill, Chapter 3 the first 20 pages
Look at :
It has formulas and information that may be of some help.
Remember, when you are working with pressure, flat surfaces are NOT generally acceptable because they deflect easily. Use a cylinder or a ball shaped vessel. In general though, avoid flat surfaces. Look at a can of soda, it has a very thin wall and is cylindrical - economically feasible.
Ten meters is approximately 33 feet. Water weighs 62.428 LB per cubic feet. At that depth, the pressure on your vessel would be 2,046 LB. per sq. ft or 14 PSI.
Jim Y
Reply to
Jim Y
Here are a couple of websites with engineering calculators, you may need to sign on the first time:
DT
Reply to
DThompson
I used to use a memo from Woods Hole Institute of Oceanography when I did this...
I think this may be the one, but I'm not sure:
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute Technical Memorandum 3-81Failure Curves of Cylindrical/Spherical Pressure Vessels and Flat End Caps.By Arnold G. Sharp, August 1981
Depending on what you are doing you may find that the pressure case is no problem, but the through-hull connectors can be. There are a lot of quite expensive connectors designed for underwater use. Faking it with a poured eurathane bulkhead could work, but if you are too deep the cable will extrude it's inners into the case over time.
Al...
Reply to
Al Adrian
Roark and Young published a pretty nice handbook: "Formulas for Stress and Strain" I think. It is a general book, not specific to pressure vessels, but I do believe there is a section on them.
/* Daniel */
Reply to
Daniel Kiracofe
pressures, an oblong cylinder ..
You have not mentioned the size of cylinder. One could choose a steel bellows (Convolutions) cylinder to withstand 6-8 Atm ( 90- 120 psi) INTERNAL pressure that does the job of external pressure as well. ( It is perhaps not a "standard" problem.)
Reply to
Narasimham G.L.

Site Timeline